Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday, February 8th - no babies yet...

It's been quite a week with yet another snow storm on Friday. The past couple of years our storms seemed to usually arrive on Wednesday. The other morning on the radio it was speculated that Friday is the new Wednesday. Let's hope that's not the case this Friday for several reasons.

1) We're set to attend an interesting evening out at Island Hill Farm. It's a first for them - a Winterlude dinner in the barn complete with bonfire outside.
2) Meghan and James are arriving for the long weekend. They won't get in till a little after midnight on Friday night but we have them to enjoy until early Tuesday morning.

Lloyd and I attended the monthly tea party at Island Hill Farm last Thursday. This is the farm where we bought Leah. We were treated to various teas in lovely china cups as well as an assortment of delicious tea sandwiches and sweet treats. Flory's goat cheese and goats milk soap were also available for purchase as well as the various flavours of teas.  It's an event that's held once a month and it was a lovely evening out.

Friday was yet another snow storm (although we really haven't had ANYTHING that compares to last year.  Unfortunately for me, it didn't start snowing until after we got to work so no snow day for us.  I was a little late getting in on Saturday as we waited for our road to get plowed but after that it was a lovely day.

Forging the trail
Because of the storm on Friday night, Lloyd wasn't able to get in to work at midnight so he had all day Saturday. Good thing as he needed to do some research. Our TV suddenly died on Friday night so Saturday was a search for a replacement. He met me after work and we headed out to get a new one. Once our choice was made, he went off home to hook it up and I went off to do some grocery shopping.  A quiet evening with some finger food and a glass of wine in front of the new TV was a perfect way to end the week.

Our trail was not without it's challenges!
Sunday dawned with perfect weather for a stroll in the woods. So, Brenda, Meghan and I were dropped off at Dalvay while Lloyd and Bernie went off in search of a bandsaw with instructions to pick us up in an hour and a half.  There haven't been any skiers out when we arrived and only a few snowshoes.  The trail seems to have had a few changes since our last visit and we were forced to forge our own trail through part of the way, but then isn't that the point of snow shoes?  The sun came out while we were in the woods and it became quite warm as we trudged through the snow. We finally chose a spot to stop near the road and called the guys to let them know where to pick us up.
We had worked up a thirst and a bit of an appetite so the five of us headed up to Morrell for a bite to eat and a beer.  A great end to a great day.  I had planned supper but we ended up not making anything as neither Lloyd nor I were hungry.

Lloyd headed up for a nap when we got home  and I tried my hand at my first batch of soap.
I'm quite pleased with the results. It's amazing what you can do with a few simple ingredients - lye, olive oil, coconut oil and some water. I used make shift molds for my first effort and they came out of those tonight. Then I played around with some cookie presses I have as the soap itself was still fairly soft. Now they just have to sit for approximately 4 weeks to cure and harden and then it will be ready to use.  Looking forward to making my next batch.  Perhaps I'll make some when the kids are here. I'm sure Meg would find it interesting. 






No comments:

Post a Comment