Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tuesday, May 3rd - a week of ups and downs, for sure

It's been a crazy weather week. I took my little car out of storage on Tuesday after work, and was greeted to it covered dusted in snow on Thursday morning. Doesn't mother nature realize two seater convertibles are not equipped with snow brushes??? But fortunately by the end of the day, it had all melted away but it was a pretty depressing way to start the day.


But then looking back we really have nothing to complain about. Remember last year?  We were cross country skiing on Mothers Day. So it's really not that bad.


And this was the 24th of May!



Lloyd left on Friday morning to fly to Toronto to get his plane ready to fly back to PEI. I had booked a rental car for him at Pearson. Unfortunately when he got there, he realized that his drivers licence had expired in January, so no rental car for you.  He called Access PEI and there is a process to make this happen but despite having sent the proper paperwork back to them on Friday, the licence wasn't ready to be picked up until 4:00 yesterday afternoon (Monday). Being as the car would have had to be returned on Wednesday, it really didn't make much sense.  Lesson learned --- the hard way. He was forced to rely on the kindness of family and friends to help him get around the entire weekend. Unfortunately Patti was away so that limited things as well, not that she had time to be chauffeuring him around as well as the kids.

Friday wasn't meant to be a good day in the end. I tried to obtain the Sir Paul tickets on Friday but I  wasn't quick enough on the draw and missed out, so no trip to Boston for Brenda and I. No worries, we're going to plan something some weekend perhaps not quite so far away. We're flexible that way.

Saturday while I worked, Brenda and company prepared for Sunday's pancake breakfast at the Rec Centre. Lloyd is usually a huge help but with him being away, we had to rely on our own devises. Brenda made some really great beans and I also made a crock pot full of a different recipe than hers. By all accounts both were very well received.  Meghan took over my pancake batter duties and I filled in for Lloyd on scrambled eggs. They actually turned out pretty good so I was happy about that. Once we were all done, and everyone was fed, we re-convened at Brenda's for tea and the post party critique.

When I got home, it was evident that poor Leah needed milking. I'd already been pretty stressed to wake up that morning to one of the babies having some health issues, or so I thought. A panicked call to Island Hill Farm and I was assured that all would be well, and it the end, it was. but poor Leah was in a lot of discomfort, I would imagine. So I led her inside and put her on the milking stand and tried to figure it out. It can't be that difficult because as she walked around milk was leaking from her udder so it should be pretty simple. Not so much. I could not figure out how to get the milk out of that apparatus. Twice I brought her inside and finally gave up. So what could I do but call my friend Brenda, who seems to be the knower of all, including the fine art of milking. So she came over and got things going with one squeeze. I tried and tried and finally got the hang of it and after a bit poor Leah felt much better.  So I've been milking her a little every day to try to improve my technique. It's a slow process but they may make a milk maid out of me yet! Once again, thanks Brenda. Because it was a beautiful day and the top was down on the little car, we took a drive over to our friends, Richard and Daralen who  are busy putting in some raised planting beds. It's a very elaborate process and we're expecting great things later this summer!

Lloyd's been busy making sure his plane and his plans are all ship shape for his trip to PEI later this week.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate and he'll not run into any difficulties. I'll be very glad when the plane and him are here and safely on the ground!





No comments:

Post a Comment