Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Tuesday, August 23rdh - read down the page to meet my new best friend...

Meghan returned home last week after spending two weeks at Diabetes camp in the Muskoka area. Originally she was a little reluctant to go, then she decided she would think about it and in the end she was looking forward to going.
I talked to her when her mom picked her up and the whole thing was a resounding success. She connected with a lot of other kids and now she knows she's not alone with this lifestyle that she will have forever. She's the fourth one from the left and a pretty happy looking little girl (sorry, make that young lady!)


The rest of our week has been pretty quiet. We did have a very long weekend here. We don't get the August 1st holiday, instead we get the Friday of Old Home Week. To make it extra special we also had Saturday off - three whole days, what a treat!  Friday was spent doing this and that but not really accomplishing a whole lot. Although I did manage to get out and pick a few blueberries with Brenda, which I used to make a peach blueberry flan. It turned out not too bad.


Lloyd has been having nothing but trouble with his chain saw so I finally convinced him (by twisting his rubber arm ) to go and buy a new one. He arrived home with it on Friday afternoon and we were set for the rest of the weekend.

We took a little break on Friday evening to eat dinner out in Point Prim.There's a chowder house we've been wanting to try and since he was away on my birthday, he wanted to make up for it. We had a delicious meal sitting outside facing the water. It was a beautiful night and a great way to end the day.


Saturday was another beautiful day and we were up early so I could start  in on splitting wood. Lloyd worked away at the trim on the barn, while I worked on wood.  It was a very hot day and didn't take the whole day to feel tired and worn out. Fortunately we had been invited out for fish fry at the VanGaals.Bernie's sister Mary and her husband were here for the weekend so the six of us had a lovely time. Great food, great company  and a really wonderful dessert - Brenda's special homemade raspberry blueberry pie. What a treat!

Sunday it was again a lovely day so Lloyd, Bernie and Meghan headed out on their bikes and the rest of us met up with them in Murrey Harbour for brunch. Finally back home and a bit more work. Our plan is to just chip away at it a little at a time.  I have the splitter set up in the shed so I don't have to handle the logs any more than necessary.  I also can just close the door if it looks like rain. Lloyd's plan is to cut up logs until he runs out of gas, once each day. Before he knows it the logs will be blocked, but he's already way ahead of my splitting and stacking, but eventually I'll catch  up.


The pile is slowly shrinking
Meet my new best friend - the good old reliable log splitter


Everytime I go out there, the pile of blocked logs gets bigger and bigger. Guess I'm going to have to pick up the pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment