Wednesday, September 14, 2016

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH - A colourful walk in the woods

It was a fairly quiet week. A little bit of stuff got done around the place. The barn now has all it's doors. The big door was put up on Saturday with some help from friend Jens. Many thanks, I know I wouldn't have been much help with a door that's 10 feet wide!.


It still needs to be finished on the outside but at least it's finally in place. 


Eddie now has his own permanent home and is quite liking it. The chickens also have new laying boxes installed as they should start laying eggs soon.

Sunday afternoon, Brenda suggested we take a walk in the woods as it's been quite a while since we'd done that and the bugs didn't seem too fierce.  We just did one part of the trail that's 2 km's but it's up and down hills and quite a rugged path in spots. I was amazed at the number of mushrooms we saw - they were everywhere. There were many varieties, some almost as big as dinner plates.  I even found what I thought might be a chanterelle.  I checked online when I got home and I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Should go back and look for more, they are SOOOO delicious.


The forest floor was littered with many kinds of mushrooms, all different shapes and sizes



Besides mushrooms, we came across several varieties of berries growing on different plants. Neither of us had any idea what any of them might be, but I'm sure we can find out.






The end of the trail with my one lonely little mushroom!

Last week was the first week of school for our kids in Ontario.  I think all went well. I received a this picture of Meg with her friends pumped for their first day of grade 9!


I also got a call at the end of the day from Tristen who says his teacher wants to know if I can come and give his class a cooking lesson. I told him I'd see what I can do when I go up for Meg's dance recital in the spring.  I can only imagine the stories he told about his visit to the island, when he got back to school.  There was definitely some lessons on where our food comes from, that's for sure'

No comments:

Post a Comment