Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Tuesday, December 20th - a roller coaster ride of temperatures

What a crazy week!  Last Thursday it got cold and windy in the afternoon and I'm talking REALLY cold - wind chill of -27'.  Sorry folks but that's mid January weather, not a week before winter actually starts!  Lloyd went off to work in the afternoon but ended up staying and working a double shift cause he wouldn't have been able to get home at midnight anyway. 

In the morning it was bitter, bitter cold with 90 km/ hour winds that practically took your breath away with the cold.  I went out to the barn and it was mighty cold out there but at least it wasn't windy so it really wasn't that bad (I know, Lloyd has to keep reminding me that they ARE farm animals).  Fine snow had found it's way in through any little crack or crevice and when I entered the barn, everything was lightly dusted with a good layer of fine snow - the floor, the hay, the straw, the goats, the chickens, the cats - everyone was wearing a coating of snow. 





For all intents and purposes, PEI was closed for the day!








Lloyd tried to get home but got stuck on the way. Fortunately he was within walking  distance of
Brenda and Bernie's and they graciously gave him shelter till he could come home after the plow had gone by, which wasn't until sometime early evening.  As he'd done a double shift, he was finished for the weekend.

Friday was a little better as the wind had finally died down. It was still cold but much more tolerable. In fact the snow was quite lovely once the wind was gone. Then on Sunday it went up to 9' with rain. Seriously???  But it wasn't enough to take away all of the snow, there's still plenty left. Monday we were back into the chill again with -10' and cold winds.  Up and down, up and down, it's hard to know which clothes to keep at hand.








Speaking of winter clothes, I was remembering way back when I was a little girl. We had one of those big old wood stoves that stood in the heart of the kitchen. There was some kind of line behind it and that's where you put your wet mittens, hats, etc to dry when you came in from playing in the snow.  The other day it occurred to me that I have an island sitting right in front of my wood stove in the kitchen. So I had Lloyd put a couple of eye hooks at each end and I strung a piece of string, added a few clothes pins,  and voila, a small line to hang mitts, etc on when they get wet. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing sight but it is kind of tucked away and you don't see it immediately. And let me tell you, it's mighty nice to have a warm hat and mitts to put on before going outside!

A special Happy 16th Birthday to James on Thursday.  It doesn't seem that long ago that I had to skip out on a Christmas supper with friends because Patti was in labour.  He's counting the hours, I'm thinking, because he has an appointment to write his drivers test on the morning of his birthday. He can't wait. So best of luck James, Happy Birthday and can't wait to see you over the holidays. He may be the first one to arrive on the island,  but it's early to tell just yet!

 By this time next week, it will be all over. All our preparations will hopefully have been appreciated.  We're visiting friends on Christmas Eve and then we have some other friends coming over on Christmas Day.  The kids will be trickling in some time over the holiday. They all have such busy schedules it's hard to get them all together at the same time - somewhat like herding cats!  But we'll be happy to see them whenever they do get here.

Where in the world is Patti? 

After several  red eye flights to Halifax in fierce stormy weather (and that was just to get to Pearson)
she's at home working on costumes for the schools annual Christmas play. This year they are doing "Beauty and the Beast". I was there a few years ago when they did it and the costumes were absolutely amazing - see December 2012 for pictures from last time they did this story. I was lucky enough to actually be there for that one, as Patti and I had needle and thread in hand till the very last minute. I really don't know how she does it. As we speak she's preparing the costumes for this years production.  To quote Greg "It's the time of year when he forgets he owns a table to eat off of..." as every surface is taken over by sergers, sewing machines, piles of trim and fabrics...
Today is the dress rehearsal so the last chance to finish off those last few stitches.  This is Tristen's last year at Montessori. What on earth will they do next year???


 And speaking of sewing...

A few weeks ago, I came across some really old craft magazines at a second hand shop. One of them
had this large Santa and Mrs. Claus using  a tomato cage as the base.  I know it's a pretty dated craft but I thought they were quite cute and decided to make them. I wanted to use up some of the materials I have in my 'stash'.  You know the stuff, it seemed like a good idea to buy at the time....
I wanted to use a navy and cream fabric for Mrs. Claus' dress but I didn't have any red for her hubby. No problem - who says he always has to wear red? I made my Santa navy blue to match his wife's dress. It's a little quirky but I like it. Mrs. Claus has a basket in her hands and it's a great place to put Christmas cards. 

 So Merry Christmas to all our friends out there, and thanks for giving me a reason to get up early on Tuesday mornings! 







No comments:

Post a Comment