Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Tuesday, February 7th - dear mother nature, enough of the roller coaster!

What crazy weather we've been having. Today is a very cold one - minus 16' with a windchill of
minus 27'.  We received a little snow yesterday but most of it's been blown all around Not really enough to do anything with. It really was a pretty sight early in the morning before the winds picked up. Tomorrow is supposed to be more snow, followed by freezing rain and then rain and a high of 6'.  If we have to have winter, then lets just have winter... this is crazy.  I hope I didn't jinx things by buying Lloyd snowshoes for his birthday.


Things are progressing slowly in our catering kitchen. Not a lot gets done during the week and we did take Sunday off this past weekend as we went into town to price fridges and stoves. The tile is all laid on the floor and the grout is finished. It actually looks pretty darned good. Now we can start on the walls. Not so much kneeling so hopefully it will go a little easier although it's still a huge amount of work.  But we'll get there, little by little.

We met with a fellow in town yesterday who has some equipment for sale that we could use but he didn't give us a price. We told him what we were interested in and he's going to speak to his partners to come up with a price. It may well be out of our range as there's not a lot of options here on the island but we'll see.


Speaking of cooking, we tried something new on the weekend. We made pizza but we cooked it inside the woodstove. I found a rack with legs that just fit inside the fire box. Then I put the pizza stone on top before putting in the pizza. It turned out brilliantly and cooked in about 2 minutes. Can't wait to try it again. We also cooked some pork chops on the rack in there and they also turned out great. Who says you can't BBQ in the winter!


When I lived in Ontario, a friend named Judy hosted a Valentines Luncheon every year. Not sure if she still does it or not. It was always such a nice time and a great way to break up the dreary month of February.  A few weeks ago I decided I might try it myself. So I've invited a few neighbours to join me for some fancy sandwiches and cookies and tea. Nothing too elaborate but just a way to break up the winter. I'm hoping it will turn out nice and we can do it each year. I can do that now that  I'm retired, or I guess I should say semi-retired.

Next week I start a new part time job. It's merchandiser with Carlton Cards. I will be responsible for three stores, keeping the greeting cards organized and stocked up.  I have two days of training next week. It's only between 5 and 8 hours a week and that suits me just fine. I'll be working all by myself which will also suit me.  It should be a nice little bit of extra income to supplement my pension once I receive it in August.  I'll be training on Monday next week so will report back on Tuesday morning!


Of course that's just when I've gotten this whole retirement thing down.  I've finally learned to wake  up in the morning and after the chores are done, ask myself, what would I like to do today. I've been spending a lot of time out in my craft room. I have lots of odd bits of fabrics in my stash so decided I would tackle some little quilting projects to try to improve my less than impressive skills. I'm finding that little projects are a great way to practice the cutting, stitching and matching.
 


James has been a busy boy. I saw on face book that he had attended a winter fun day with the Biathlon team at the Jesuit Centre in Guelph. They enjoyed lunch there as well and it appears he jumped right in to help - that's my boy!

Tristen's school had a ski trip recently that included a sleep over. Patti went as a helper and as James had the time off due to exams, he was able to join them. It was the same ski facility he had been to with the Biathlon team a few weeks ago. He was able to take advantage of the opportunity to get some good instruction and practice on the trails before he heads out to Sault Ste. Marie for the next Biathlon competition.

And finally, Where in the world is Patti?  
I talked briefly with her last night. She had just come home from London and was heading to Paris next. Such a globetrotter!


No comments:

Post a Comment