Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Tuesday, November 21st - time to turn up the heat - finally!

After a roller coaster ride of temperatures, it's been cold now for a couple of days, although it appears we may be well above freezing again in a few days. This up and down is really getting difficult to deal with. Just get cold and stay that way! Then we'll get used to it.

We had our first flurries on the weekend but  none stayed. Now the weather people are telling us to expect a lot of precipitation over the winter. Hopefully it won't be like that dreadful winter a couple of years ago.  But I guess the up side of that is I don't have to try to get to town on those really bad mornings.  Bring it on! (just not on the days my friend Petra is traveling here and back home)

It was a fairly quiet week. We're catering the Flying Club's Christmas party in a few weeks. I wanted to add a little something extra so thought I might make individual gingerbread men to put at each place. It's not a huge group - maybe 50 guys at the most. But as I was searching through my cookie cutters to choose just the right gingerbread man I came across a couple of cutters that are airplanes. How appropriate.  Lloyd chose the one he liked and I baked 60 cookies. But they were kind of plain and boring so I asked how I could dress them up just a little. He suggested that a real plane has a red light on the tip of one wing, a green light on the tip of the other and a white light on the tail. So off I went in search of appropriately coloured candies and I found some. I spent one morning last week gluing candies on wing tips and sticking on propellers. I used melted sugar as glue - easy to make and sticks like crazy glue! Here's part of the completed fleet...



This week will be spent in collecting everything we need for the party. The venue it's being held at is very simple with not a lot of supplies, so we have to take absolutely everything. I'm currently working on centre pieces as well. It should be good. 

We had our neighbours over for supper on Saturday night so Lloyd chose a menu with several Portuguese dishes. He spent the day in the kitchen cooking and I got to do some tidying and sorting. We had a nice time at dinner and great food was consumed.  In fact the neighbours both came back for second helpings so that speaks volumes. Well done Lloyd.

Sunday the cleaning continued as I emptied out all the cupboards and cleaned them and pitched a lot of old ingredients and packages. Quite a bit of stuff had been hanging around for a very long time - time for it to go. So it was a pretty productive weekend.  Plus it was easier to stay inside by the fire and keep warm.

Patti's kids had a busy weekend. Meghan just started a new job at the Aberfoyle Mill restaurant near where they live. It's a lovely place and I think she's going to enjoy it as a source for a little extra spending money.  She's just worked one shift so far but I think it will be good for her. Besides busing tables (she's not old enough to serve) she helps plate deserts, delivers bread to tables, refills water, etc. Plus she'll get a share of the tips so that will be bonus. Patti, Greg and Tristen went there for supper on Sunday to celebrate Patti's birthday. Lovely spot for a birthday dinner!


James was also busy this week with the Santa Claus Parade...

( Apparently it was very cold at the parade - a little chilly in a kilt I would imagine!)


  ... and the Cadets Commanding Officers Parade.



Tonight I have my boss from the card company coming over for supper. She's from New Brunswick but is over on the island usually every 5 or 6 weeks. I talked with her yesterday and asked if she would like to join us for dinner and she was delighted. Today was the only day that would work for her so I guess I'll have to skip exercise class - ooops! Oh well, there's always next week to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment