Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Tuesday, December 5th - 10 more sleeps to get ready for our Christmas guest

December always seems to fly by much faster than most months and this year is no exception. While we're busy getting ready for a catering function this Friday, I'm also trying to sneak in a few other chores that need doing before Petra arrives, as well as make a small start on decorating for Christmas. Plus throw in some cookie orders and it's all good. Fortunately I'll have all most of next week to really get busy.

This past week I once again worked at Island Honey Wine bottling mead. It's always a full day but this time we only had to do 1,000 bottles, although it still seemed to take just as long as last week's 1,500.

Thursday was an absolutely gorgeous day and after working in town for the morning, I suggested to Lloyd when I got home that it would be the ideal day to put up the lights outside. Fortunately for me, he didn't have anything specific planned for his afternoon. So up they went. Just in time for Brenda's arrival to watch some TV and enjoy some snacks, supplied by Meghan, thank you very much!



Friday Lloyd acquired a number of gallons of raw  cows milk so his plan was to spend the weekend making cheese. Needless to say I found it best to just stay out of his way. I worked on a few other projects over the weekend while he made several varieties of cheese.

 I made some cookies and fashioned a large wreath to put on the outside of the house with fresh greenery - we'll see how it holds up in the strong winds that are predicted for Wednesday. 




 I also took some time to 'trim' some of the trees in our yard and came up with greenery for my rack by the back door. It's starting to look a little festive around here!

 One task that I did complete was the centre pieces for the tables at this Friday's events. The way we're setting up the tables will give us a large table that will seat 10 people so I needed something fairly large to set off such a large space. I saw this idea online and thought it would be perfect. It did involve cutting up a value village table cloth, scrounging habit for humanity for old globe lights and having Brenda rummage through her recycled tins to find suitable cans.  In the end I think they turned out not so bad. Check back next week for a photo of the tables all set up with their finery.





Other than that it was a pretty quiet week. Okay, I'd better get back to work. Lots to do to get ready for Friday. There are no supplies at the fire hall we're using, so that means we have to bring absolutely everything - dishes, cutlery, etc, etc so lots to think about to make sure I don't forget anything. (But we all know I'll miss something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment