Wednesday, December 5, 2018

December 5th - I guess summer is over!

The last time we connected was in the spring, and I said I'd be back in the fall.

So much has changed since then.

We made the decision in June to put our house up for sale. We have our other piece of property over on Five Houses Road in Fort Augustus. We thought it would be a good idea to downsize and move over there. After searching around and lots of discussion, we came to a final decision to purchase a mini home. We found one we really liked with a layout that will perfectly suit our lifestyle. The nice thing about it, is it's all on one floor so no more stairs. Much easier to take care of and less expensive to maintain.

We didn't really think the place would sell but surprisingly it did, in September. We had one month to pack up everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. That included the commercial kitchen as the purchasers had no interest in it. So we packed it all up and sent it off to auction. I know, only a year after we built it, but we found it was a huge amount of work for not a lot of monetary return. We both decided we're a little old for this job. So sell everything, we did.

We called a local trucking company and they delivered a large trailer to our yard. We packed up all our worldly belongings and put them in the trailer. Our mini home was supposed to get moved right after closing, but unfortunately that didn't happen. We house sat for some friends for three weeks and then we moved in November to an Inn in Charlottetown. It's not ideal, but we have a bedroom and our own bathroom. There's a communal kitchen on the main floor (we're on the second floor). We can cook our meals there and then we bring them up to our room to eat while we watch the news in the evenings.

The only difficult part is Lloyd's working schedule. He gets home at 8:00 in the morning and goes to sleep until around lunch time. Then he goes back to bed at 6:30 so I have to be very quiet again, or find somewhere else to go. He's hoping to retire in January and then we might get into more of a regular routine.  But we have a place to stay so it's all good.

I had the pleasure of going to Halifax last week. Patti had a 24 hour layover there so I got to spend some quality time with both her and James.

We thought about going to Guelph for Christmas but decided against it. Instead we will spend Christmas Eve with Brenda and her family and friends, and then go for dinner on Christmas Day with our friends Jens and Linda.  It won't be the first Christmas that was less than ideal. I worked many a Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day when I worked in Corrections so it's not really that big a deal. I will miss having a tree but we just don't have the space. We'll make up for it next Christmas!

Our internet service here isn't the greatest, but I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas (which should hopefully be here next week). From then on I think I will take my laptop over to the local coffee shop in the mornings and do my work from there. Hopefully it will be much better.

Until then..... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment