Wednesday, August 14, 2019

August 12th - today would have been my father's 100th birthday!

It's been a little while but not quite as long as previously. A few things have happened since we last shared information.

I got another year older and was honoured to share my birthday once again with Ethan VanGaal (not like he had a lot of choice - I just keep showing up!)

We had a lovely meal at Brenda and Bernie's followed by delicious cake complete with candles.

Another great surprise was a visit by my good friend Nancy, from Rockwood. She was in Halifax and drove over for a visit. She arrived around lunch time and I met her in town. We grabbed a bite to eat then headed off to explore. I took her out to Wheatley River to see our friends Charles and Laura. I was in search of lavender  for the sachets I sew for them. Unfortunately it wasn't ready yet but it gave us a great excuse to see some of the island. From there we headed out to our place so she could see where we finally ended up. I had planned on the three of us going to the beach for supper but we ended up having a really simple supper at our place. Then it was off to the beach. She said the walk on the beach was worth the whole trip. I agree.







Before dark I drove her back to her car in town so she could be at least part way home before dark. There are moose on the other side of that big bridge!
I was pleased to hear she made it safe and sound back to Halifax.

Work has been progressing slowly but continuously on the decking at home. There really isn't  a whole lot I can do to be of assistance so I decided to take myself on a little vacation.

We bought the camper in the fall so haven't really used it, although it did serve as a kitchen when we were between places to stay.

I went online and found a campground not too far from town. I knew I'd have to come in at least twice to work. What I didn't plan on was one poor woman in our department breaking her hip so now they're scrambling to fill the hours so guess who's first in line? Instead of working 2 days this week I'm working 5. Not quite what I had in mind. But look at the bright side - it isn't MY hip that's broken!

On Sunday Brenda came out to the campground on her bike and we took a little tour around the north side of the island. We had a lovely lunch at a little cafe in North Rustico then we just explored. We did find ourselves in Kensington  to get ice cream - just before the rain started. We got a little wet but not bad. Brenda made it home in time before the storm really hit. I thought my little screened tent over my picnic table was going to blow away but it managed to stay in place until the storm  eventually passed. Lots of rain, thunder and lightening for the second night in a row but fortunately I was cozy and dry in the camper.


Lloyd is staying at home with the dog and the work on the decks. Things are apparently progressing. He came out to join me for BBQ steaks tonight (Monday) and he's headed off to Nova Scotia on his bike with some folks from his work on Wednesday, I, on the other hand, will be joining Brenda and Meghan for a local comedy and music revue that we've seen in years past. It's always a very enjoyable time. Then on Thursday we are off to see Mama Mia at the Confed Centre. We missed it last time it was here so we're making sure to catch it this time.

More on that at a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment