Sunday, October 13, 2019

Sunday, October 13th - Happy Thanksgiving

Hope everyone is having a great long weekend.

Our weather this weekend isn't exactly ideal but after rain all day Saturday at least today the rain has stopped. I didn't really mind that it was raining yesterday as I had invited some friends out for supper. I really enjoyed my morning working in the kitchen.

As most of you know, Lloyd is once again in Vietnam, having left on October 1st. So I decided to invite some friends to join me for a small Thanksgiving dinner. I had a 10 pound chicken in the freezer that we substituted for a turkey. I also picked up a small ham as well. Mashed potatoes, carrots, roasted beets all made for a nice meal, starting first with a Butternut squash soup. By all accounts it was a successful evening. It was an eclectic group, which seems to be our norm these days. 

Table set and ready for company

I made caramel apples for every place



It was a really nice evening and I'm so glad that folks were willing to come out and keep an old lady company for a few hours!

Earlier in the week, the CBC was hosting an event called "Leaf Relief". They were giving away 800 trees free of charge to help replace some of the trees that were lost during Dorian. They were starting at 6:00 am at the Farmers Market in Charlottetown. So I was up and out the door at 5:30. I was expecting it might be busy and it was. All trees were gone by 8:00. I was very happy to get there early enough to nab a red Maple, my tree of choice from those offered. The radio station was broadcasting live at the scene and because they televise the first hour of their morning show, apparently my back was on TV as I waited for my number to be called. Brenda texted me to tell me she saw me on TV.

Now said tree is securely planted in my front yard. It's a whopping 41 inches tall so it will be quite some time before it reaches an size but I at least have a few colourful leaves to watch each fall.




Meghan is still in Italy and seems to be really enjoying her time there. A couple of weeks ago she was picking grapes at a vineyard.





This week she was exploring some pretty awesome caves. It's hard to believe that her time there will soon be over. I'm sure she's going to return home with some pretty amazing stories and some awesome memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment