Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesday, June 17th - it was a whirlwind visit, for sure

My trip started off narrowly missing my flight due to a glitch at the airport here in Charlottetown. They had messed up the count some how and advised me there were no more seats. But before the plane took off, they determined there was indeed one empty seat, so it was a mad dash across the tarmac to the plane, where I was greeted with cheering and clapping for having made it!

Patti and Tristen picked me up at the airport and we headed back to Guelph in the rain. After dropping Tristen at school, we went up and picked up Greg's truck at his work. He was going to be away at a ball tournament with James all weekend and it would be just sitting there, so we decided Patti would use the truck for the weekend and I would use her car.

After a few errands, I was off to lunch with friends Kay and Kristi. I had a small gift for Kristi, who's getting married soon and the three of us enjoyed catching up and having a great lunch. Then it was back to the office to say hello to everyone else, before heading back to Patti's to change.


I was meeting friend Nancy for supper at a little restaurant downtown, within walking distance of the River Run Centre. The recital started at 7:30 and Patti met Nancy and I there. It was a great show and the girls did an amazing job. The dance team performed 3 times, combined with 7 other numbers, Meghan was on stage a total of 10 times. Needless to say I was pretty tired by the time we got back to Patti's as I'd been up since 2:30 am PEI time and I know Meg was tired from all that dancing.



Saturday started out pretty cloudy but cleared later and turned out to be a beautiful day. I drove up to friend Katy's house and we drove together up to Belwood to a familiar restaurant we all used to go to years ago, where we met up with Fran. Not long after we got there, Walt showed up on his bike and joined us. It was great to see everyone.


Then it was back to Guelph for the afternoon recital performance. Patti was helping backstage so I was by myself but that was okay.  There are always presentations at the end of the last performance and this year the 8 girls on the competition team were each given bouquets of flowers by their teacher in recognition of their hard work this year.

Once we were home, and everyone was changed, we headed out for supper. Greg and James were still away so it was just the four of us - Patti and I and the two younger kids. We decided on the York Road Kitchen for our meal and we were not disappointed. I had the pleasure of speaking with Sarah, one of the owners, whom I've known for years. It was nice to have a couple of minutes to catch up. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and got to sample some interesting dishes. Then it was back home to relax for the rest of the evening in front of the TV. It had been a pretty hectic week for everyone so it was nice to chill for a bit.


Sunday dawned with lots of rain so doing something outside was out of the question. I picked up some stuff to make stuffed french toast, similar to some we had seen on the Food Network the evening before because we were pretty sure we could do a better job, and we did. I didn't have too much to eat as I was meeting friend Linda at a local eating spot called State & Main.  I had the calamari and Linda had a breakfast option and it was quite delicious.  Then it was back to Patti's to spend the rest of the day. We cooked some supper and then it was time to get ready to head to the airport.

She had a flight to Deer Lake, NFLD and I was hoping to get on the 10:00 flight to PEI (the last person to get on the flight was Chef Michael from here on the island. He said 'Hi' and waved as he went by but he was certainly not about to give up his seat!) Unfortunately for me it was full, but very fortunately for me (not so much for the other passengers) an earlier flight didn't go as scheduled and was now scheduled to leave around midnight. Also fortunately for me, several people chose not to wait around that long and changed their plans. This left open seats for folks like me. So finally at 12:30 we were on our way, arriving in Charlottetown at approximately 3:30 in the morning where it was only 6' . There didn't seem much point in going home so I headed to the local McDonald's that's open 24 hours a day, and had a tea and a muffin. By the time the sun was coming up, it was slightly warmer, so I was able to try to nap in my car for an hour. Then it was 6:30 am so I only had an hour to kill before work so I headed downtown to my favorite cafe for a wake up coffee and a read of the local paper before heading to work. It was a very long day and I was glad to get home. Lloyd had a lovely meal prepared - BBQ steaks, baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and Caesar salad. It was  a great welcome home. Needless to say, I was off to bed by 8:00 and slept through the alarm until I woke up at 6:30 in a bit of a panic to get ready for work.

All in all, an exhausting but great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment