Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Tuesday, September 29th - if this is fall, bring it on!

We've had unseasonably warm weather for the past week and it's still continuing. The fact I can come home from work with the top down on the car at the end of September is wonderful! I'm totally loving it.  It was a pretty quiet week with plans for the weekend. 

Our friend, Linda, who is visiting her cottage from Ontario, came over for supper on Saturday. When I got home from work, I set about preparing an easy supper and Lloyd was working outside. Now that fall is officially here, suddenly those little jobs that you thought you had lots of time to complete before winter, are looming ever closer. We needed some repairs to some of the siding and around the back door. That is now all done and it looks much better.

We had a lovely evening with Linda and sat and chatted for quite a while, as she's not sure when she'll get back to the island. She's planning to head back to Guelph on Thursday so she and I are going to meet in town on Wednesday evening for something to eat and to say goodbye.

Sunday started out a bit busy. We were expecting some guests for supper that we really don't know very well (actually Lloyd has never met either of them). I only found out after I'd invited them that he's actually a chef - no pressure there. That's probably something I should have known BEFORE inviting them to dinner. Turns out my worries were for naught, as they had to cancel at the last minute on Sunday morning due to illness. Now the pressure was off, but I had this meal prepared, or at least cooking. Since it was Bernie's birthday last Thursday, we decided to make it a celebration of that instead. Easy fix, just put Happy Birthday on the cake I'd already made. You certainly can't say that we aren't flexible.

So same meal, as planned, just different diners. No problem. We had a nice dinner and some wine and then they headed home to find the best spot to watch the lunar eclipse. This was going to be a special one as it was also a super moon at the same time. I understand it was quite spectacular but I missed most of it. I was just too tired to stay awake. But as I suspected, there were lots of photos on line this morning. So a big thank you to those who actually stayed up to record the event.




I did see parts of it as the dog needed to go outside several times throughout the night.  
Apparently something he ate didn't agree with him and I suspect it was the bone we'd gotten for him at the farmers market.  But the up side is I got to see parts of the eclipse.

There was a meeting at the Rec Centre last night for the regular volunteers. They're planning a fund raising event similar to the hugely successful "Chase the Ace" being held in Cape Breton, and need the volunteers to be on board with it. Ours will be "Capture the Queen of Hearts".  It will be held every Friday evening from 6:30 to 8:30 with trivia from 7:00 to 8:00. Looks like I'm going to be  involved in the planning and execution of the trivia portion of the evening, hopefully 'with a little help from my friends'. 

And speaking of "a little help from my friends", I received an email last week advising that my tickets for Sir Paul have been mailed so should be here anytime soon. That date will be here before you know it. Not only will I get to see Sir Paul, but also the family and a lady that's just moved there from the island. She's a very sweet person who I met at the dealership a while ago. She  came in the other day for some advise on a couple of things  As we were chatting she mentioned that she was moving back to Ontario, to Guelph. When I asked her where in Guelph, she said Twin Towers - which happens to be an apartment building owned by my former employer! What a coincidence.  She couldn't get over it. So I've got her new address and I told her I'll be dropping by for coffee one morning when I'm there and she was so pleased, so I'm really looking forward to that.

And speaking of sweet things, Celery has a new house. The cage Lloyd built was only meant to be temporary so I searched high and low until I found the perfect cage for her. Now she has room to move around and things to do. She seems much happier there, although she's really happy to just curl up on your lap and sit  while you watch TV.








No comments:

Post a Comment