Monday, October 19, 2015

Monday, October 19th - finally the election stuff will be over

We all can't wait for the election to be over - it seems like it's been going on forever.  By morning, the suspense will be over - at least for the candidates.

What a difference a week can make. After a very busy Thanksgiving weekend, it was nice to have a relatively quiet week. Lloyd and I were both still struggling with colds, but each day was a little better.

Tuesday and Wednesday, the temperatures were well above seasonable norms and we enjoyed some sun and warmth with highs reaching almost 20'.  I had planned to put my little car away for the winter and Wednesday worked best for all involved. Lloyd met me in town at 5:00 with the top down, and we toured over to Boomburger with our hair flying in the breeze for a bite to eat before heading out to Suffolk to the storage facility. It was still 17' and very pleasant when I drove into the lane and headed in for a tour of the facility which was once a pig farm but now is a spotless building.  The fellow showed us around told us there are at least 3 other red Miata's that are stored there. It must be quite a sight to see them all lined up together.  It was kind of sad to leave my car behind, but I'll have something to look forward to as I watch the snow melting in the spring.


And speaking of snow, we were not at all prepared for what greeted us this morning - a good 4 cms of snow had fallen over night. We sure didn't see that coming.  It was mostly gone by the end of the day but it was a rude awakening for an October morning.


I don't think I've seen snow this early since I've been here. A far cry from our 20" less than one week ago!

Friday morning I headed into town around 3:30 and stopped and picked up coffee and muffins at Tim's before heading over to have a chat with Lloyd at work, before leaving for the airport.  My flight was at 5:30 so we had time for a little visit before I left. Patti and Tristen picked me up in Toronto at 7:00, although I'm sure she would have much rather still been in bed, as she was fighting the same cold we were.

Friday turned out to be a busy day. After getting everyone off to school, Patti and I stopped at Balnar to say hello, totally forgetting that the staff has a breakfast social meeting every Friday morning. Good timing on our part. We were able to sit and chat with everyone at once. From there it was off to visit Millicent, one of our customers who recently moved to Guelph. We stopped in to have coffee with her and to see how she's doing. She's slowly getting there but is taking her time to put things in place until she decided exactly where she wants things. Unfortunately it's a job you have to do yourself.

We left there and met friend Cathy for lunch. We had missed each other last time I was there so we made a point of getting together. It was great that Patti could join us as well.  From there we headed back to Patti's as she had some stuff to be taken to the landfill, so I helped her load some of it into the truck and we headed out again, only this time in the rain. 

By the time we  finished that it was time to get everyone picked up .  Friday was Patti and Greg's anniversary and they went out for dinner. I was going to stay with the kids but Meg was babysitting, and James and Tristen just wanted to stay home so I met up with a group of my friends and went out for supper with them. It was great to see Nancy and Stu, Robin and Marlene and Marla and Jim. We left the sports themed restaurant after the first inning of the Jay's game as they  were all keen to see the remainder of the game, but I wasn't really interested and I was starting to fade. I went to bed not long after getting home.

Saturday morning, James had to be at a Cadet training day and Tristen had his archery class. I stayed and watched him for the hour.





He's doing very well and seems to be enjoying it. After a stop at Tim's for a coffee and muffin, we headed home again. We really didn't do much until 2:00 when Patti, Meg and I met with Ian, who had been at our house in the summer. Patti and Ian hadn't seen each other since they were in nursery school, so they really didn't remember each other but they enjoyed meeting each other again.


By the time we got home, it was soon time to head out. Patti had picked up James and after changing into our concert shirts and a quick bite to eat, we were off to the Air Canada Centre. 

Sadly, not everyone could go...

We arrived with a bit of time to spare.

Outside the ACC

The concert was set to start at 8:00 but it was close to 8:30 when it finally began and Sir Paul hit the stage. It was non-stop Paul from the start till the finish at 11:30. 




Live fireworks on stage for "Live and Let Die"

Another amazing evening of music and nostalgia for some 18,000 fans.  I think James enjoyed it. He didn't know some of the songs, but those he did, he spent singing along to.  It was a long day for him and we didn't get home until 1:45 on Sunday morning. Trouble was he had to be in Kitchener for 7:30 for a speedskating meet on Sunday morning. It probably wasn't one of his best efforts as he was a pretty tired young fellow.

Meg and I had gone with them to drop James off, then we headed straight to the airport as my flight was leaving at 10:00 am.  It was a little delayed but I was home by 2:00. It had been a busy and exhausting weekend, but a very special one.

The rest of the day was pretty quiet. I had a hot bath, then made some supper while Lloyd worked on his smoker. The clock is ticking as the pigs will be slaughtered this coming weekend so everything needs to be in place.

PS - welcome home Caitlyn and Meghan!

No comments:

Post a Comment