Monday, December 7, 2015

Tuesday, December 8th - "Let there me light"

Yes indeed, "Let there be light" was the common phrase out our way for a number of days.

It started around 5:00 am on Thursday morning when the power suddenly went off. Fortunately  I had just stepped out of the shower so I was okay to get dressed by candlelight.  I hear the lights didn't come back on until around lunch time. No problem. Apparently someone had driven off the road and hit a pole knocking out power to the entire eastern end of the island.

We were expecting our first snow storm that evening. It came as promised bringing with it copious amounts of heavy, wet snow, that unfortunately took down power lines across the island.  Our power was off at 4:00 in the morning when I woke up. Great - second day in a row.  Unfortunately this one lasted much longer. It was still off when I got home on Friday evening. Good thing we have a wood stove and lots of wood combined with a gas stove for cooking so we were actually in pretty good shape.  I was greeted to a candle lit supper of salad, and pasta with shrimp in  a cream sauce.  I wasn't able to do any dishes at that point so I took a drive over to Brenda's. They had a means of generating electricity so they had light, TV and water!   I visited with her for a while then headed home.

I woke up to still no power on Saturday morning. Fortunately Lloyd was at work so I stopped in there and had a shower before work. After I showered we headed over to Maid Marion's for some breakfast before I headed off to work. We were optimistic when the power came back on sometime in the afternoon on Saturday. Unfortunately it went off again in the evening. It did come back on sometime overnight but then went off again around 11:00 on Sunday morning. We went into town after lunch and were ever so pleased to see that it had come back on by the time we got home. All in all, a bit of a frustrating weekend. I had lots of things I wanted to accomplish but such was not the case.

On Saturday after work, I met up with my friend Christine for a bite to eat then we met up with Brenda and Meghan at the Victorian Christmas Market on Victoria Row. 




Meg had moved into her new apartment on Saturday morning. After touring the market in very cold, damp conditions we said good bye to Christine and the three of us headed out to find a warm spot with some cold wine and maybe a bite to eat. Luck wasn't with us as everywhere we tried was either closed for a private function or had no space.  With Christmas parties and lots of folks without power, there was no space at any of the inns! We ended up ordering Chinese food and taking it  back to Meghan's.

Her new apartment is in a heritage home and it's very spacious and really lovely. I can't wait to see what she does with it over time. When we were finished eating, we headed over to Stratford. Brenda needed a ride home and there were two old guys sitting in a bar across the bridge, who also needed rides home. So we came to their rescue and made sure they got home safe and sound.

With the power off on Sunday, there wasn't much we could do so we headed into town. We stopped into Meghan's as her mom and dad were there. Lloyd set up a couple of things on her computer and I helped a tiny bit with drying the dishes as Brenda washed them.  The Victorian Market was on for the last day and Lloyd wanted to stop by and see what was going on. Our friend Charles was there with a booth so we had a chat with him and Laura  before heading home.

A quick stop at the grocery store and then we were on our way. Fortunately the power was back on so we were able to end our weekend on a positive note.





No comments:

Post a Comment