Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tuesday, August 22nd - I really must check the calendar at least once each day!

Just finished watching the news and realized it's Tuesday and I forgot to post a blog today.
Not a lot going on right now. Saturday we had a catering event so most of the few days prior were busy getting ready for that. Unfortunately the weather was a little less than cooperative, bringing some drizzle initially, and then rain after that. We managed to get most people fed and moved to a neighbouring cottage before it got too bad.

Our food was well received and I tried a couple of new things that I will keep on the menu. One was some steak skewers that were marinated overnight and then cooked briefly on the grill. They were a huge hit. The other was a new recipe for ribs that was also quite successful. So far, so good.

A shot of the trial run at our place of the new BBQ spit a couple of weeks ago

Sunday was kind of a quiet day. Wash up and put away stuff from Saturday and then just relaxed for the rest of the day. We took a little drive into town in the afternoon and the weather that had started out cloudy and cool on Sunday morning transformed into a beautiful sunny and warm afternoon.

We still have cookies at Cavendish Tourist Mart. Lloyd called them on Sunday and they only had 2 packages left from last weeks 36 so it was back into cookie production on Monday.

Cavendish cookies, waiting to be labeled and delivered...

The last couple of days have been very warm and I was grateful to Brenda who arrived at my door around 4:00 to announce she was going to the beach - was I interested? Seriously? Of course I was. We were only there for about an hour but it was just perfect to cool off and chill out.

Now that our last scheduled catering event is past, I can focus on reorganizing my kitchen and getting my craft room back in order. Before we built the kitchen, we piled all kinds of kitchen stuff up in my craft room. It's now time for it to go - anywhere but on my craft table, thank you very much!

Lloyd is heading out to Newfoundland on his new-to-him motorcycle on September first. Some folks reading this will be getting a sense of deja vu.  It's not so many years ago he headed to Newfoundland on his bike with our friend Walt. That trip did not have a happy ending - let's hope this one is more successful. He's going to visit his sister Norma, who has recently had surgery. When he was telling Bernie about all the places he hopes to visit, it sparked the travel bug in Mr. VanGaal again. He's only just returned from biking all the way out to Edmonton, but he's ready and willing to take off again!  Can't say I'm sorry that Lloyd will have company. It's always scary for them to travel distances alone. You just never know what might happen.

Remember back a couple of months ago when I tried planting a garden in some used pallets?
By the time I returned from Britain, the entire thing was one mass of 3 foot tall weeds. I finally got around to looking at it this morning and I couldn't believe what I found. The bulk of the weeds were in the pathways between the pallets. The pallets themselves contained mostly my plants, with maybe a few weeds here and there. I found beans and peas, that admittedly, were past their best before date, but still usable and masses of tomatoes. I found 4 small ones that were ripe and ready to be picked. Another pallet revealed parsley and basil. The lettuce and spinach were no longer usable but the Swiss chard I planted is still good to go. So it seems my little experiment may have worked after all. I'll try it again next year and see if I have the same results.

This was the state of my 'garden' when I returned from vacation

Somewhere in there I know there are tomato plants



Voila, and there they are!


And finally, can it really be over a month since this was me?


No comments:

Post a Comment