Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Wednesday, August 1st - back home again

Good morning everyone!

I had tried to send a small post from Scotland, but now that I'm back in Canada, I realize that my previous post didn't actually go out. Here it is in its entirety:

So, just thought I should post a little something. Internet hasn't always been the greatest and typing on the iPad is not that much fun, to be perfectly honest. It's officially 7 full days since James and I left Toronto. 

I think we're having a great time. If he disagrees he hasn't said anything to me. Tonight we are in Loch Ness, and here for two nights. What an absolutely gorgeous place and we're not even anywhere near the loch. That will be tomorrow when we go on a boat cruise of the loch. James has a lengthy hike planned for tomorrow morning. Sure glad I'm not going. The hills around are massive. 

Liverpool was all I'd hoped and more. I have to admit that there were a couple of times I was almost teary at the realization that I finally made it here.





That made all the castles and museums worth it. But in reality I've managed to skip some and go off and tour on my own. Win/win all round!

I'm going to close off for now, but just wanted to check in 

 So now for the rest of the story:

All in all, we had a really great trip. Saw lots of sights that we both wanted to see. Fortunately James is old enough to go off exploring on his own.

After Loch Ness we took the train to Glasgow. A totally different city than Edinburgh. We were meant to just stay for one night and then head to Cardiff, Wales, but it was a longer train journey than we thought so we stayed a second night in Glasgow.  We went to the National Piping Centre and I asked the right question of the right fellow and managed to get James a piping lesson while he was there. I think he really enjoyed that opportunity.

Then before we knew it our trip was drawing to a close. We headed to London and met up with Patti who was just there for 24 hours. The three of us enjoyed touring around a bit and doing some shopping. Patti and I went for dinner while James attended a cricket match across from the hotel at The Lords Cricket Grounds. Quite a unique opportunity for him.

Patti left early on Friday morning so James and I were on our own. We did some touring around, Buckingham Palace and a couple of museums he was keen to visit. Then I went and spent a lovely time in Green Park while he visited the Churchill War Rooms.

When I arrived in London I saw that there was a stage play entitled Bat out of Hell - the musical. Sounded like it was right up my alley, so I got myself a ticket. I went there on Friday night, and it was absolutely brilliantly done, while James explored the city on his own.

On Saturday, we toured the Tower of London, and strolled along the Thames. In the afternoon we met up with my friend Petra, who lives in London. I stayed with her and had dinner and James left to go on a ghost walking tour of the city.

Sunday morning,(aka happy birthday to me!) our last full day in London. We got up and packed up our stuff as we were transferring to Patti's hotel. She got back to the city again that morning. Once again the three of us headed off. We wanted to visit Westminster Abbey but unfortunately we didn't realize it was closed on Sundays. Guess we'll just have to go again another time.  We toured around a bit, visited Abbey Road studios, did some last minute shopping, then headed back to the hotel to get changed for dinner.



We had reservations at Jamie Oliver's restaurant 15.  I had invited Petra to join us. She was already there when we arrived. We all enjoyed a lovely dinner and before we knew it, the time had come to depart. We said goodbye to Petra at the tube station and made our way back to Patti's hotel.

Early Monday morning we were on the crew bus headed to the airport. James made his flight and was put into first class. Not to be outdone, I had the same good luck. So both our flights home were very comfortable indeed.

Took two tries to get from Halifax to Charlottetown but fortunately I arrived home that same day I started out - always a great thing when traveling standby.

All in all, a really great trip, a once in a lifetime experience, and really fab way to spend my 65th birthday!

I have a ton of pictures so I'm going to have to start working on a new scrapbook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment