Tuesday, February 13, 2018

February 13th - An Early Happy Valentines Day!

...and our roller coaster weather continues. Crazy weather indeed.
In fact, we've not seen this much ice around since we've been here, which will be 9 years at the end of April. Hard to believe.

Saturday I had a catering job in town (more on that later) and when it was time to go home, around midnight, it was raining. Not so bad as we didn't have to contend with icy roads. Sunday was below freezing with a dusting of snow on top of the water, that was now frozen. Monday brought temperatures well above freezing leaving a slick layer of water on top of all the ice. Getting to the garage was quite a challenge. Should have gotten my skates out of the closet!






 After Lloyd got up from his morning nap, he and our neighbour Frank, went out and got some sand to spread around in both yards. Makes a huge difference.

                                                                          
Now Tuesday is expected to be -14' with the wind chill making it that much colder. Then on Wednesday we're back into the plus side again.  I'm hoping for decent weather on Wednesday as I'm hosting my second annual Valentine's lunch. It was a great day last year so I'm hoping this year's will be just as enjoyable for my guests.

It was a fairly busy week. Our Friday craft class was cancelled as our instructor couldn't make it. Not sure why but we should be back to normal this week. It was just as well as I had lots to do to prepare for our catering job on Saturday afternoon.
 
Soup, sandwiches, sweets for 25 volunteers helping out at the Heart and Stroke Gala.

 The ballroom all set for the gala...

Meanwhile backstage...


 At first glance it appeared I might have too much food but in the end, there was lots. Although there really wasn't much left, just a couple of sandwiches and that was about it.  By all accounts they were happy clients.  Rave reviews for our Tomato, Corn and Black Bean Soup. Either that or they were all really polite people! I now Meghan went out on a limb hiring me so I'm really pleased that it worked out so well.

Once everyone had eaten, it was time to head to our work stations. Brenda and I were in charge of the wrapping room - packaging all the silent auction items when it was over. There were bits of confusion part way through but in the end it all worked out.

While we worked away, James was in Sault Ste. Marie at a Biathlon.  He tells me he had a great time in spite of not advancing to the next competition, which is the National one. I was a little disapointed to hear that as it's actually being held here on PEI. But if we don't get some serious snow soon, it might be a challenge for the hosts.

He really didn't mind as he has an opportunity at the same time to visit the universities in Ottawa - something he needs to do before making his final decision. So it all works out in the end.

This week there was a video on Instagram of the girls at the dance school getting ready for their first competition of the season coming up very soon. They've all been working really hard and I know they'll do well.










No comments:

Post a Comment