Monday, January 21, 2019

January 21st - While the cat's away...

I must say it's been a bit of a whirlwind since Lloyd left last Wednesday.

I've decided in his absence I would try to get more active and eat healthier. So my first stop was a nutrition workshop at the Superstore on Thursday evening. While I didn't learn much that I didn't already know, it's good to have a reminder.

With overnight bag in hand, I then headed out to Fort Augustus for our usual Thursday night routine - wine and snacks in front of the TV catching up with Grey's. We had planned to maybe go cross country skiing on Friday morning but a) I forgot my ski boots and b) it was just really cold. Instead we opted to work on some pants that Brenda needed hemmed.

I had a lunch date at our friend Sharyn's at noon. They just returned from a cruise and I wanted to hear all about it. After lunch the two of us went up to the Shamrock Club for the start of this year's LEAP program (Learning Elders Arts Program).  The subject this year is basket weaving. We worked for 2 hours, from 1 till 3, and got a good start on the first of 3 baskets we will complete over the next 8 weeks.

Sharyn starting her basket





My basket, thus far


On my way back I stopped in to see Anna, whom I had watched over while Pat and Sharyn were away in October. She's 87 years old but sharp as a tack and so interesting to talk to. After a glass of wine and a lovely visit with her, I went back to Brenda's. Earlier in the morning we had decided to go into town Friday night to a concert at the Pourhouse. The entertainer was Garrett Mason. We'd seen a play in the summer portraying his late father's life. I searched Garrett on youtube and after hearing him I knew it would be something I would really enjoy.

Brenda and I made our way into town and arrived at the Pourhouse in time to grab a bite to eat along with our beer. While we waited for the show to start, her cousin Maureen and her husband George arrived, so we made room for them at our table. All in all it was a really terrific night. When Garret comes back to town again I will be sure to take Lloyd. After the first song, I immediately thought of my old friend Doug. He was a huge blues fan and would have loved this show.

Garrett Mason


When the show was over I walked back to my place and Brenda walked back to Meghan's. We had parked our cars before the show and met at the pub on foot. As I walked home I thought about how extremely lucky I am to live in a place where I can walk the streets, alone, at 11:00 at night and not feel the least bit uncomfortable or threatened. 

Saturday morning Brenda dropped Meghan off at her exercise class then picked me up to go to the Farmer's Market. Our friend Helena drove into town and joined us for coffee. As usual the market was a bustling place. On our way home we swung by a local park where Meghan was participating in a "snowga" class - yoga in the snow. Not my idea of a good time but good for her! 

"Snow Yoga"


After Brenda dropped me off I spent the early part of the afternoon reading a book then headed out for a walk. I walked up to get a few groceries and walked back, a total of 1 hour walking. I was very proud of myself. Then I sent Lloyd an email. He had texted me on Thursday to tell me he  was on the flight to Hanoi and that was the last I'd heard from him. I was starting to maybe get a little concerned as to his whereabouts. Finally on Saturday evening (morning for him) he sent a message. By the time he reached his destination he was exhausted and slept the better part of two days.  I spent my evening binge watching Netflix. (The new season of Grace and Frankie was just released.)

Sunday was promising a snow storm, followed by rain and then a flash freeze on Monday morning. The weather arrived as promised. During the snow, I took a walk up to Sobey's and back - just to get some more walking in. 

Now it's Monday, and as expected there is no school due to slippery roads. I ventured out and am sitting at Timothy's enjoying a coffee, before I venture back out to  carefully walk home.  I have an appointment this afternoon  at a women's fitness facility to sign up for the next 2 months. Wish me luck!

Check out Lloyd's travels at norockerforlloyd.com  Under the picture there is a row of words and one of them is BLOG. You need to click on that one to see the latest posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment