Monday, January 28, 2019

Monday, January 28th - Live and local, from Timothy's...

...here in downtown Charlottetown. It's Monday morning once again - the start of another new week,

Things have pretty much settled down into a routine, somewhat, however that is always subject to change.
I joined a local women's fitness program last week. I had a coupon to buy one month and get one free (thank you Brenda). I went on Monday at 2:00 to register and do a bit of an orientation. It's not a big place but has more than adequate equipment for some low impact strength training. At that time there was no one else there so I had the place to myself. I finished my circuit and found it not too bad. I went back again Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I went around the same time each day (right after "Escape to the Country" on TV) and there was only one other person there each time. This should get me through to the last week of March, when I move out to house sit in Wheatley River.

I also have a friend who's in the hospital so I spent part of my mornings there as well visiting with her. With those two activities as well as my card calls, my week went by fairly quickly.

Brenda and Meghan were in town on Thursday evening for a music concert that I backed out of. I'd tentatively made other plans to go to a movie but in the end I spent my evening reading, having just picked up the next book in the Outlander series.

Because we didn't get together on Thursday to watch Grey's, we decided to do it on Friday instead. Friday feast lives!  Many years ago, when I was first here by myself, Brenda and I started Friday Feast. That entailed us taking turns planning and prepping a meal for Friday nights supper. They were great evenings and we had opportunities to try some different recipes. Bernie, being the good sport that is, was always most generous with his compliments.  So, I suggested that I could bring supper on Friday. I had a pork roast in my freezer in town and put it into the slow cooker overnight. When I went out to Fort Augustus I dropped it off and plugged it in at Brenda's.  Our friends Jackie and Helena came out for supper as well so it was really a great night.

I had to go out to Fort Augustus early as I was having lunch at Sharyn and Pat's. On my way I stopped in to visit with Jens and Linda. Good opportunity to catch up with everyone. After lunch we had our basket making class. I'm obviously not as diligent with my work as I was the only one who was finished by the end of the day. Next week I have to take something else to work on so everyone else can finish theirs and then we can all start the next project at the same time. All in all I was pretty pleased with my first completed basket.



After spending the night at the VanGaals, I headed back into town on Saturday morning. It was a pretty quiet and relaxing weekend. I spent Saturday tidying up my room and organizing a few things, then it was out for a nice long walk. I've set myself up on a website that helps you keep track of calories so I've been trying to stick to some healthy eating. That's required a few trips to the grocery store for fresh veggies, fruit etc. But that gives me a destination to walk to.

Saturday Brenda and I were scheduled to volunteer at an event at the ski park with Biathlon PEI. Unfortunately we had rain and mild weather so it was cancelled. They were hoping to reschedule but there are no weekends available so it's put off till next year. Too bad for those who have worked so hard.
Saturday evening I decided to go out instead of sitting in reading. I checked what was playing at Cineplex and saw that "The Green Book" was playing. Brenda told me she and Bernie had seen it and enjoyed it, so off  I went. It really was quite a good movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sunday was again really nice weather - sunny and not cold. So after going for a lengthy walk I came back and made something to eat (low cal of course!)  In the evening I walked over to the carriage house at Beaconsfield. The Vinland Society (Icelandic people) were hosting a presentation. One component was instruction in making "Skyr", an iceland recipe that is really a cross between a soft cheese and a yogurt. We got to sample it and it was very delicious. When I finally have a kitchen again I plan to try making some at home. It's essentially the same process as making cheese.

I was home early enough to catch the final episode of Outlander, Season 4. Now it will be a long wait for Season 5, that hasn't as yet begun production. But that's okay, I'm reading the books.

Brenda and I are tentatively looking at going over to Halifax this weekend. She wants to visit her aunt. It will be a short trip - going over on Saturday morning and back on Sunday afternoon. That should give James and I a chance to catch up. There may also be a stop at Ikea on the way home !

Lloyd is enjoying his trip so far. Check it out at 'norockerforlloyd.com' and click on BLOG for his latest posts.

One more thing:

When Lloyd retired we were invited to supper at our friends Charles and Laura's. Charles is quite the creative fellow and came up with this little piece of literature that he read, quite expressively when we were there. I wish I had taped it. Here's what he said -

Lloyd's working days are done

Lloyd'll eat when he's hungry, gonna sleep when he's tired
Cause Lloyd didn't get laid off, sacked or fired.
Now that he's out to pasture he's gonna do just as he pleases.
Life for him got better with age, like the finest of cheeses.

His adventures are just beginning, it's time to start anew.
You might see this gentleman in Hanoi, Singapore, or Kathmandu.
No more night shifts for Lloyd, unless he wants to watch a lunar eclipse
No more life labouring interruptions till the last puzzle piece fits.

Sandy won't have to calculate his sleeping routine
Before accepting an invitation to any social scene.
Lloyd likes to  ponder, and tinker, to putter and think
And if the mood strikes him he can enjoy a stiff drink.

No more splitting wood or moving everything they own
Juggling houses or chasing goats that do roam.
Carefree as a schoolboy with a coin in his pocket he's a real dandy
He doesn't have a care in his head and the world's just a big bag of candy.

Oh the places you'll go to, the things that you'll see
I hope one day day the carefree man will be me.
The folks that you meet will inherit bits of your knowledge
Some of them old beggars, and some will be Rhode's scholars in college.

But one thing's for sure, and of it, I'm certain
He'd never utter a complaint no matter how much he's hurtin.
Lloyd's always been caring, the king of the kind
Always ready to lend a hand, leave no one behind.

Though he begrudgingly endures the notes of the Highland Piper's sonnet
He will suffer the sounds in silence, with his hearing aid in his shirt pocket.
Lloyd likes to walk, and walk, and walk some more
But with tired old soles, he paid the cobbler that works at the store.

Let's pause a moment to discuss his diet.
His motto has been, 'if you make it, I'll try it'.

He's not too picky about his veggies, few men are humbler
But the one green he can't abide is the common cucumber.
It's not the taste, the look, or the feel he despises on his pallet
It's the way those cukes rebel when concealed in his salad.

We look forward to stories of Lloyd's travels by boat, plane or car
We certainly know that you've worked mighty hard to get this far
 Yeah, we do think we're lucky enough to count him as a friend
All can agree that he deserves all the best things in life that his future will send.

Here is a quote that a wise man once said, since it fell on my ears, it's been stuck in my head.
"There are many things that I don't know how to do, but there's nothing that I won't try"
That's the motto that I try to abide, it's the difference between the mighty and the meek
The man that taught it to me, just retired last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment