Monday, February 4, 2019

February 4th - live and local from...

...9 Euston Street. Feeling a little lazy this morning, so doing this post in my jammies from the comfort of my room!

What a busy week I had last week. Tuesday was spent out in Mermaid helping my friend Helena learn to make guacamole. We tried three different versions and then did a taste testing when they were all finished. They varied somewhat in flavour but all were more than edible! I was even sent home with some as well as a container of home made chicken soup. Much appreciated.


Wednesday and Thursday were card days followed by "Thursday Thursday" supper at the VanGaals. The Bairds joined us and I managed to push them slightly out of their comfort zone with a dish that contained a totally foreign starch - soft and creamy polenta, topped with chunks of Italian sausage in a tomato type of sauce.

Creamy Polenta with Sausage and Tomato

I made this one cold snowy night when I got home from work and was absolutely starving. It was very quick to put together and really tasty. Polenta is something most of us non-Italians are not really familiar with. My understanding is it often replaces mashed potatoes. It's a nice change from the ordinary and very quick and easy to make.

Ingredients:  (for 2 servings)

  • 2-3 hot Italian sausages
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 - 14 oz tin diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and onion - do not drain (if you just have plain tomatoes, saute some diced onion and garlic, and add to tomatoes with a bit of fresh or dried basil - to taste)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1/4 tsp dried)
  • 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)

Putting it all together:

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly.
Add tomatoes to pan and simmer for a few minutes  until a bit of the juice has reduced.
Add sausages to tomatoes and continue simmering
While this is simmering, mix the milk with 1/2 cup water and put into a saucepan with the oregano and salt.
Bring just to a boil and slowly whisk in the cornmeal
Continue whisking until thick and creamy - similar to mashed potatoes - I found this took  about 30 seconds
Remove from heat and spoon into the centre of serving bowls.
Top with some of the sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley (if using)



I stayed ovenight at the VanGaals after we watched our program, following supper.

I was going in to the Bairds to make some squares that Lloyd had made before Christmas. Jackie had asked for the recipe, so armed with glace cherries, I arrived bright and early  on Friday morning. I left them cooling on the counter and headed back to the VanGaals to hang out till noon. Our basket weaving class was starting at 12:00 this week instead of 1:00. Those of us who were finished our baskets helped others get caught up so that this coming week we can all start on the second basket together. 

I dropped in to visit Cooper at the Rosa's for a little bit then it was off the the Rec Centre for Trivia, which Brenda was presenting. Unfortunately neither of us captured the Queen. But a pleasant evening was had by all. Then it was back to the VanGaals to spend the night before heading back to town on Saturday morning. 

Saturday evening I met up with them  as well as two other couples at The Old Dublin Pub for Winterdine - sweet potato soup, strip loin steak with fries and cheesecake.  Again, another very enjoyable evening.



I was asked by Sharyn how to make corn beef hash. Lloyd and I had made it for Pat before he went out west, when we were staying at their place. Apparently he quite enjoyed it. So I suggested to Sharyn that I could come out on Sunday morning and show her how to make it after church. Our friend Mary Leah joined us and we enjoyed a nice breakfast together.



I was back into town soon after as I was attending a bluegrass concert over at the Carriage House at Beaconsfield, (where I'd been the Sunday before.) Within walking distance, it's one of the advantages of being in town. People ask if I'll be sorry to be leaving town once I finally get moved, but in reality I can't wait. I much prefer the country. 

The concert was lively and very enjoyable but I left quickly when it was over, to go home and get ready to go out for dinner, yet again!

Our friends Charles and Laura invited me to come out to celebrate their friend Geraldine's birthday. We had celebrated her husbands birthday just before Christmas. Once again, a lovely evening was had by all. 



I'm expecting this week may be a tad quieter, although Tristen is coming down to visit this weekend. He's arriving on the late flight Thursday night and will leave again on Monday morning. Brenda and I were hoping to go to Halifax this past weekend but in the end plans changed and we stayed here. This coming weekend we're volunteering at the Heart and Stroke Gala on Saturday night. I'll find something for Tristen to do while I'm out. 

It would appear Lloyd's run into a bit of an obstacle on his travels. We'll see how that turns out - norockerforlloyd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment