Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Monday, February 11th - a lovely winter visit,i spite of the temperatures

After many days of frigid temperatures, it looks like we may get a ton of snow - 20 to 30 cms on Thursday.  Too bad it didn't arrive in time for Tristen's visit this past weekend.

Last week was fairly busy leading up to his arrival. I visited my friend Donna in Montague on Monday afternoon and stayed overnight. She had just gotten out of the hospital and was happy to have someone arrive with food, and to cook supper. We had a lovely visit before calling it a night.
On Tuesday I came back into town to start my card shop visits for the week.

On Thursday I went out to the VanGaals to make supper but I didn't stay over as Tristen was arriving at 11:30. As per usual, that late flight was delayed, finally arriving at 2:00 in the morning. But at least he got here.

Friday morning was quite slippery as the result of some freezing rain, which unfortunately cancelled our basket weaving class. Later in the day it turned to rain and temperatures were well above freezing. Tristen and I took advantage of that to head out to Patti Lane. I had trimmed some trees in the woods a number of years ago and the stack of branches was still there in a pile. My goal was to move those branches out to the middle of the lot so I could burn those at some point later on, without setting fire to the rest of the trees. There were also quite a few branches that I'd trimmed this summer. So Tristen and I set about moving all the branches out to one big pile. All I need now is a nice dry day without wind so I can go out and burn them.

Biscuits and jam before heading out to the woods



By the time we finished that we were both soaking wet, and just a little bit cold. I had it on good authority that Brenda had made cinnamon rolls that morning, so we called her a nd asked her to put the kettle on. While we enjoyed our hot beverages and warm cinnamon rolls, we discussed what to do for supper. It was decided that Tristen and I would go back into town and get changed into dry clothes and head back to Fort Augustus with pizza. On our way out, we stopped at the second hand store and pocked up a board game. We chose Clue, as neither of us had ever played it.

After our pizza, we played a game of clue before heading over to watch some TV. Tristen had also bought a jigsaw puzzle and he worked on that.

We were out fairly early on Saturday morning. The whole point of being there overnight was so that Tristen could go out to the woods with Bernie in the morning, but it was just really cold and Bernie had another project he was hoping to get finished that day.

I had contacted the owner of the mini home we're in the process of purchasing and had him leave me a key. Tristen and I drove over there to view it. He was pleased to see that he'll have his very own room when he comes to visit.

Back to town to grab a bite to eatm -  some fresh steamed mussels -  and then off to the movies. We had the pleasure of seeing The Lego Movie 2. It was actually quite cute.

Sunday morning was quiet, with not a lot to do. Tristen worked on a second puzzle he had and I read my book. Finally noon arrived and we headed out to Island Hill Farm. That's always one of Tristen's favorite places to visit when he comes to the island. It was extra special this time with a visit with Celery (our rabbit) as well as the new born baby llama. It was another very cold day but not so bad inside the barn with the warmth of all the animals.



After returning to town and getting changed into clothes that didn't smell quite so strongly of goats, we went for supper. We had our meal at Mr. Sushi. Unfortunately we both left our phones at home so weren't able to take a picture of Tristen using chop sticks.


After supper we went back to my room to watch some TV. There was a movie on that was of some interest, along with popcorn.

Monday morning I was surprised to wake up to Tristen having packed up all his stuff. It was an early morning visit to the Culinary Institute for breakfast. I'd heard that it was good and it was indeed.
I had a few errands to run so we drove around completing those until time to take him to the airport.
I waited till he was safely on board and headed back out to Iona.

I spent a fair bit of time there, taking some more detailed measurements than what I already had, and just contemplating what needs to be done. I still really like the layout and I think we're going to be very comfortable there, once we finally can move it, and move in.

On the way out and back, I was amazed at the state of farmers fields. The winds have been strong for a few days and it was like driving through a sandstorm in places along the Transcanada. I stopped at one spot and saw that what looked like sand hills along the side of the road was actually 4 to  5 inches of sand on top of the snowbanks. Then it was on the news last night about the amount of topsoil that's being blown off fields. Not a good thing for farmers. It's just really disturbing to see all the bare fields and high winds in the middle of February. However, that could change significantly in the next couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment