Monday, March 25, 2019

Monday, March 25th - hello from Wheatley RIver

The last leg of my traveling is underway. I arrived in Wheatley River this afternoon and as I write this Charles and Laura are busy finishing up some last minute tasks before they head out in the morning.

I can't believe just how quickly last week sped by. Tuesday and Wednesday I did cards and spent my evenings catching up on some programs and doing some reading. Thursday was a longer day, as I was bottling wine out at Charles'. We started at 8:00 in the morning and finished up a little before 5:00. Needless to say my feet, legs and back were pretty tired by the end of the day. I thought I might have a bath in Brenda's lovely whirly tub but I was just too tired.

Friday was a drizzly kind of day but it was brightened by two visitors - Sharyn and Heather came over for coffee.  We sat at the table and chatted and before we knew it the clock told us it was almost noon.  Sharyn and I confirmed we were going to meet to go to a movie in town on Friday night.

Before the VanGaals left Bernie and the boys dug some trenches around the house to divert the rain water from coming into the basement so there were no issues there. Just before I was to meet Sharyn, Ethan dropped by to check on the shop.( He stopped by every evening on his way home from work to make sure all was well). I'm really grateful that he did. There had been some water leaking into the shop and the floor in one corner was quite wet. So we grabbed some mops and buckets and headed up to sop up the water. In a few minutes we had things under control. In the meantime Sharyn arrived and we headed into town. We saw "Lost and Found", a really cute movie centred around the lost and found department of a train station in Ireland.

Saturday was a free day, with nothing to do and no where that I needed to go. Perfect. I spent the day baking butter tarts, making chili and a pot of Irish Stew (for those who weren't home on St. Patrick's Day) a great day just puttering in the kitchen. Gosh how I miss that!

Sunday dawned to find that the Van Gaals had arrived home at approximately 4:30 in the morning.They must have crept in very quietly as I didn't hear them at all. I woke up around 7:00 and saw that the truck was in the yard so I knew they had made it back. So it was my turn to creep down the stairs, make a cup of tea and park myself in the living room. Bernie was up first and I learned that Brenda had come down with a terrible cold the last day of their travels. Needless to say Sunday was pretty much lost on her. She slept most of the day. By this morning she was starting to look and feel only slightly better but at least she's on the road to recovery.

I hung out at their place until 1:00 when I attended the annual meeting of the Shamrock Seniors Club. Since I'll be living in the area it seems appropriate that I should become involved.
After the meeting, I headed out to Wheatley River, where I'll be in residence for the next month. The weather is slowly improving and we can actually begin to believe that spring is on it's way.

Meghan had a very busy and successful dance competition this past weekend. There's a rumour that the competition next weekend may be live streamed. Hope that's true. I've never been to one of her competitions.

 While she and her mom were away, James impressed everyone with his new found crepe making skills. I have it on good authority that they were delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment