Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday, December 7th - a nice relaxing evening

It's a calm -3' this morning but we should go up to 2' later with sun. Not a bad day. We were expecting 2 to 4 cm of snow yesterday but we really never got more than just a light covering. Brenda had called me a little before 7:00 to advise that there was freezing rain out there and I did have to clean some of it off my car. But by the time I was leaving it had turned to snow and the roads were actually not so bad. Of course by the time I got to work there was no snow. It did come a little later but really didn't amount to much. Just to be prepared I had my winter tires installed yesterday afternoon but I really didn't need them, however one of these days really soon, I will.

Yesterday morning the radio was mentioning it was  the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre in 1989.  Then when I got to work, Canada AM was on the TV and Jeff, one of the hosts, was broadcasting from Disney World in Florida. For me that was a really weird thing to have happen. The morning that the news broke about the massacre back in 1989, was the morning we were driving to Florida to visit Disney World. A really strange coincidence.

Last night was a relaxing evening. I came across a recipe for a warm Southwest Spinach Dip that I wanted to try. So I called my partner in crime, Brenda, and suggested that if I picked up a bottle of wine, she could come over and we could give it a whirl. It had good flavour but I think I left it in the oven too long. It wasn't as creamy as I would have expected but it still tasted pretty good. I'll watch it a little closer next time. So we had that with some nacho chips and a Yellow Tail wine that I hadn't tried before. It was really quite good and we totally enjoyed it. It's a white with just a hint of sparkly bubbles and it almost has a bit of an ice wine flavour to it. It was called Moscato (and I say WAS because we drank the whole thing!) I will definitely buy that one again. So we sat and ate and drank and watched a couple of programs on TV and it was a very enjoyable evening. We had to do it last night as we have a dinner at the Rec Centre tonight. Besides I was ready for a night off from working around the house. I can make up some time on the weekend.

Just found out yesterday that we are closed on Christmas Eve. So I'll switch my vacation day on the 24th and use it on the 31st. That will mean I'm off from the 19th right up until the 2nd of January! That's a full two weeks off. The last time I as off work for more than a week was when we went to Australia, and that was MANY years ago. Looking forward to spending that time with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment