Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tuesday, March 22 - the calendar may say it's spring, but Mother nature apparently forgot to check the date!

After a gloriously lovely and mild February, by most accounts, March is turning things around. A bit of snow on the weekend has been topped off with a messy mix of snow and freezing rain. Estimated amounts of snowfall range from 10 to 20 cm, depending on what part of the island you call home. Fortunately the drive home on Monday was much better than anticipated. The nice part of it is at least it's not dark anymore on the way home, so you can see that ditch you're about to slide into, before it actually happens, (if that happens to be the case!).

 The old adage about the weather "Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning"  was quite evident on Monday morning before the weather turned nasty. This was our sky as I headed out to work.


It was a pretty quiet week. Just work and more work. For the first time in a month, we didn't have any company coming over so that took a bit of pressure off and allowed me to catch up on some badly needed chores around the house.

Brenda came over on Wednesday evening and we caught up with a glass of wine. She and Bernie have been pretty busy helping Meghan redecorate her apartment - stripping wall paper, plastering cracks, priming, painting, ... you get  the picture.

My guys, or at least some of them,were on March Break last week, (it's this week on the island). Patti, James and Meghan went to Florida to spend a few days with Greg's mom and dad. Tristen decided he wanted to stay home to attend a March Break art camp and I suppose poor Greg was relegated to working. There was shopping involved in the U.S. and apparently a suitable graduation dress and shoes have been sourced out for Meghan. I've not seen pictures of it yet, but I expect those will be coming soon.

Our 'kids' are getting bigger every day. They are now both over 20 pounds. We took them outside on the weekend to experience their first snow but they were less than impressed.  There was a lot of shivering going on, but I'm not sure if that was cold or nervousness. We didn't leave them out for very long but I know they'll enjoy being outside once the snow is gone and it warms up.  Lloyd is heading out this weekend to pick up fencing materials he's ordered so he can get busy as soon as the ground is thawed.  He has a map of our property drawn out that gives us an idea of how much space they'll have and just where. He'll also need to start on his barn once the warmer weather gets here as well, and have most of it done before he goes away on vacation at the end of July. Too many projects and not enough time!

On a side note, and speaking of kids, Lloyd was out at Island Hill Farm one day last week and picked up a piece of goat meat. On Sunday he cooked it low and slow in the oven with some wine, herbs and spices and various root vegetables. The result was very tasty and we both really enjoyed it. (We didn't tell the 'girls' out in the garage we may have eaten a relative of theirs for supper). I did a bit of reading about goat meat and was surprised to learn that it's the prime source of meat in a lot of countries around the world and is actually lower in calories than beef, pork, or even chicken. Who knew?

I spent most of Sunday out in my craft room, working on my T-shirt quilt, with my new sewing machine. It's not a big expensive fancy one but it has much more functionality than my old one and I've very pleased with it.  Hopefully I can have some photos of the finished quilt project for next Tuesday's post. Lloyd's away for the day on Friday and I'm off so I think I'll spend the day out in the garage and get that project finally finished so I can start on some new ones!.

No comments:

Post a Comment