Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Tuesday, March 8th - still feeling a little spring like

Well we've had a couple of close calls, but nothing serious. Apparently Nova Scotia got walloped on the weekend with a snowstorm that left us with just a light dusting. Our temperatures are hovering around the freezing mark but the sun and lack of snow sure makes it feel much later that it really is. But we are into March so who knows? It could still come, but we are less than two weeks away from the first day of spring, and I'm betting this year won't be like last year was when the real first day of spring was sometime in May!!!

 Our weekend got off to a really great start on Friday night. I met Brenda and Meghan downtown for a bite to eat and then we were off to the Mack for a concert by Irish Mythen. I'd not heard her before and I was totally impressed. She's an extremely talented singer and songwriter and fabulous story teller, with great details about each song, not to mention, just plain hilarious!. I'd love to see her at the Trailside, which is a much smaller venue. I would imagine that could happen again this summer. When it does, we'll be sure to attend.

We had lunch on Sunday with our friends Charles and Laura, who brought along another couple, Peter and Geraldine. We've met then briefly a couple of times, but don't know them well.  They  also moved here from Guelph. It was a delightful afternoon and we really enjoyed their company. 


The kids are growing each week. They are still very friendly, jumping up to get petted whenever you go into their pen, but they are getting noticeably heavier when you pick them up for cuddles.  Like all kids, I'll have to enjoy it while I can.  It hasn't been quite warm enough this week for them to go back outside, but hopefully that will come soon.

Last weeks outing

The other kids had a busy weekend. Meghan had a dance competition on Thursday and Friday, in Guelph and James had a speed skating meet in Kitchener on Saturday and Sunday. A busy time but at least not quite as much driving for mom.

I hadn't heard how the dancing went and I got a reply from my inquiry to Meg on Saturday night. Her modest response to my "How did it go today?" was:

"Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, but it went pretty good. My duet came 1st, our character and jazz also came 1st and our modern and tap came second"

 Seriously??? I'd say that was pretty amazing, not just pretty good.  Well done girls.

James also worked very hard on the weekend but unfortunately wasn't quite so successful. We I  was really hopeful that he would make the cut to attend the Eastern Canada meet that just happens to be planned for Charlottetown this year. He missed out being in the top 6 by 1/100th of a second.  I know he was disappointed, but not as much as I was!  The up side is he has a piping competition in Toronto the weekend of the skating meet so he'll still be very busy. Now at least he won't have to choose which one to attend.  I have to admit my reasons for hoping for skating were totally selfish.

One last note: one of those things that makes you go HMMMMMMMMM


I had a tomato that I'd bought a number of days  earlier and decided to cut it up to use for dinner one day. When I cut it in half, I was quite surprised to see that all the seeds had germinated. Within seconds of cutting, the little green sprouts popped up to catch the light. We set it in the window and now have it in a container of soil. I can't say I've ever seen anything like this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment