Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tuesday, March 1st - what a difference a year can make

It's been quite an amazing week, weather wise. Several warm and sunny days last week put everyone in the mood for spring, even though we just know it's not here yet.  Tuesday Lloyd BBQ'd some lamb chops for supper as it was a beautiful sunny day. In fact I saw a car go past the dealership that afternoon with a kayak on the roof. Now that's what I call an optimist. It just got better as the week went on. Our high on Thursday was 12' while Greenwood, Nova Scotia was the warmest spot in the entire country at 17.3'. Not too shabby for the last week of February.

This time last year, this was the scene at the end of our lane, where our mailbox had been taken away by the snowplow several times and there was no place to put a replacement, except for, of course, the traditional PEI country, winter "mailbox' - not terribly attractive but very effective.


This week, there is not a flake of snow anywhere near said mailbox.  I bet that makes the mail delivery people very pleased..

Yesterday was once again a very lovely day - so much so that Lloyd took the 'herd' outside for some fresh air. Apparently it was a bit of a challenge but I'm sure Leah will soon get the hang of walking around on a lead. Of course the little ones will follow where ever she goes.  I picked up a couple of dog T-shirts to put on them when they go outside if it's still a bit chilly. I tried them on last night and although a little big, they fit very well. I tried to get a picture of them wearing them but they move around too quickly. We need two people to get that photo.


Brenda came over on Tuesday evening to watch a movie and get caught up on all the gossip. We watched "Spotlight" so I was surprised to hear that it had won best picture at the Oscars. I've not usually seen the movies that win each year.

Poor Meghan started out her week on a bit of a downturn.  She had a problem knee as a result of a track and field injury last spring at school. She re-injured it at dance class early in the week, so much so, that the doctor and physiotherapist she's been seeing for it, advised her to stay off it for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, that wasn't really an option she was prepared to entertain.

The first dance competition of the year was on Saturday and there was no way she was going to miss it. She was part of the dance team as well as competing in a duet. Her mom told me on Saturday morning that she had enough drugs in her to choke a horse, and she made it through a total of 5 dance numbers. She and her partner in crime, came in third in their duet, and the team took home first place overall. Needless to say she was a pretty happy camper, as were the rest of the students.


 Pre show preparations - it's all about the make up and the perfect bun...

Two very happy dancers

A proud group of dancers and their teacher, Holly, who also won a choreography award
Lloyd's sister Heather, husband Kim, daughter Nicole and her son Jordan, came over for supper on Sunday evening. Jordan especially liked meeting Cooper, Celery, and of course the baby goats. They've just recently relocated to PEI so it was only fitting we have them out for a visit.

Brenda and her daughter Meghan were gone to Halifax for the weekend. As a result, I was left to keep myself entertained.. I made the most of my day and spent the bulk of it out in the craft room where I got lots done. The blocks for my quilt are now all finished and I'm ready to start joining them together with a technique I learned at a quilting class a number of years ago. Once they were all finished and laid out on the table, I was quite moved to see a large chunk of my life displayed there in front of me. The blocks are all made from Weekend To End Breast Cancer T-shirts and each one brings back very special memories of great times with some wonderful people. Now that the tedious part is done, I'm really looking forward to seeing the final result once they're all joined together. In the photo I had to severely over lap them as they wouldn't fit on the table otherwise but I needed to sort out what order they will be in.


One final note: on Monday afternoon I saw a motorcycle going up the road.It is February, right? But then Brenda's guys were out on Christmas day so needless to say, our motorcycle season has had a very short time off this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment