Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Tuesday, April 3rd - hope you all had a lovely Easter Weekend

Wow, what a week. I spent last Tuesday bottling wine out in Wheatley River, then out for some supper with Lloyd, before he departed on Wednesday.


Despite a risk of freezing rain overnight Tuesday, it didn't amount to much of anything so no impact on flights. I drove Lloyd to the airport for his lunchtime flight. Once I knew he had a seat, I departed and did some errands in town before heading out to a friends  for tea. Maryleah had invited a group of us ladies to her house to see some of her quilts. She was part of our needle felting class. To say I was overwhelmed would be a serious understatement. She has this collection of absolutely gorgeous quilts that she has made through the years. Aside from the fact that the tops are beyond beautiful, they are also completely hand quilted. The stitching in them is unbelievable. The backs of the quilts are just as beautiful as the front. I was absolutely awestruck. I'm so glad to have been invited but at the same time so very intimidated. I'd be really embarrassed to show her anything I've made. But during the course of our afternoon I was asked about our new business. Long story short, I said I would have all of them over for a luncheon when I get back from holidays, and they were all quite enthusiastic about visiting both my kitchen and my craft space. Lots of reorganizing needed there!



On my way home, I received a call from Lloyd. It seems he'd been rear-ended on the 401 on his way to Guelph. No one was hurt except his rental car. It happened between Guelph and Milton and he had to return to Milton to do a report. In the end James came to his rescue and picked him up so he was just in time for his get together with his friends. By all accounts a good time was had by all, and James transported him safely back to the airport the next day for his flight to Korea.

Thursday was a catered lunch for the Canadian Mental Health Association in town. I elicited some help from my friend Sharyn. Both Lloyd and Brenda were away so I had to go a little further afield. Sharyn was a huge help and I'm very grateful for her help. Lunch went well and they seemed really pleased.

Friday morning I was awakened at 5:00 a.m. by an incoming text message telling me that Lloyd had arrived in Korea. It was 5:00 p.m. there.  He video called me at 12:30 (just after midnight there) to tell me about his first day. He had quite a lovely time and met some really nice people. Needless to say,  there was food and drink involved!



He couldn't find a Tim's - says he should have followed the police car!

I had decided to take the opportunity of 4 full days off to paint my kitchen. I spent all day Friday taking stuff down, washing the walls down with TSP and getting ready to start painting on Saturday.  I had a lovely end to my day by going out for a bite to eat with Meghan (1). She came out to Fort Augustus to the church service and had some time to kill before meeting up with her brothers for the evening. We had a nice meal at the local restaurant in Mount Stewart, which she hadn't been to yet. I got to hear all about her mom and dad's trip so far and was pleased to hear all was going well. I'll get the full story when they get back.

Saturday was full on painting. The weather really wasn't the greatest over the weekend (still isn't) so it was a great way to pass the time. It took pretty much all day but by the end of it I was done. I had in my mind what I wanted to do and I'm pleasantly surprised that it turned out even better than I had imagined. The old kitchen had a light green on the to of the walls and white wainscotting. Now the wainscotting is a medium gray and the upper walls are a lighter shade of gray. The whole look is more subdued than what was there and I absolutely love it.



I also chatted with Patti who called to let me know they were back from Florida. A good time was apparently had by all. 

Easter Sunday arrived with yet another dreary weather day.  Now that the kitchen was completely dry, I set about putting things back in place. I've moved a couple of things into the living room and will leave them there till after Lloyd gets home. He'll need them moved to do the floor anyway. 

After putting most things away, it was time to get cleaned up to go out. I was invited out for Easter dinner at my friend Sharyn's mother in laws. I was thrilled to be invited and had a lovely time. I'd not been to Anna's house before and I absolutely love the layout.  We enjoyed a delicious turkey dinner with all the trimmings. A perfect way to end the long weekend.

Lloyd called while I was away so he called me back again in the evening around 8:00 which was 6:00 a.m. in Viet Nam. We chatted for quite a while and he told me all about his  adventure in getting from Korea to Hanoi, but in the end he made it. He also emailed some photos of his first day in Hanoi.





Monday was yet again cold and windy. Some people, who shall remain nameless, sent an email about it being "a stinking hot  28'.  "  I told him I had two words for him - and they weren't Happy Birthday! He replied that I was kind of rude. I advised him that it was -2 and windy here, so you do the math!


No comments:

Post a Comment