Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday, November 23rd - and still the nice weather continues - for now

It's a balmy 6' outside this morning and we should reach a sunny high of 10' later this afternoon - a perfect day to be outside, once again. The last couple of days have been gorgeous and much progress has been made on the building. The top is now complete and today he's working on the little inset balcony area. The roof is covered as are the two ends so thanks to the weather this week real progress has been made. This should allow him to be prepared to go to Ontario some time next week. While he's away, I'll use that time to sort and get the house somewhat ready for Christmas. By the time he gets back, it should almost be time for me to fly to Toronto. The time is going by so fast! But then December is always like that.

Yesterday I found the listing for my friend's house that's for sale in Guelph. They did an amazing job with the virtual tour - check it out:

As I watched the video, I know that others will see an absolutely gorgeous house, but I see something else in that video: 
  • I see countless parties with good friends, 
  • I see Jana and I up till the wee hours working on Scott's parents scrapbook at the dining room table ( just one more page!), 
  • I see people hovering around the stove waiting for the mini burgers we prepared along with countless other dishes for a massive fundraiser we put together in a couple of weeks, for the local Children's Foundation, 
  • I see starry nights sitting out on the balcony drinking wine,  (and Scott being dismayed at how some people guzzled what was a very expensive and beautiful wine)
  • I see the kids playing in the pool or jumping in the bouncy castle or sliding down the inflatable slide (the little kids during the evening, the bigger kids after the little ones had gone home), 
  • I see a table set for 26 people as we had the after Christmas parties every  January with all the staff, 
  • I see many hours spent in Jana's kitchen with Kay and Jackie as we prepped for the summer BBQ, 
  • I see Maple Lodge Farms setting up the big BBQ's in the driveway and roasting 100 half  chickens for the same BBQ, 
  • I see Scott, Ryan and Kristi setting up the bar for numerous parties outside on the patio
  • I see Lloyd's apartment that was his home away from home for quite some time while he worked to be able to join me on the island
  • I see Frank Balnar sitting at the bar in the kitchen before dinner at numerous gatherings - after Christmas, dinner with their friends from Vancouver - holding court with all the staff
  • I see Scott playing the part of bartender at all the functions as he skillfully mixed drinks (here, you've got to try this one)
  • I see Kristi running experiments for a school project that involved drinking either copious amounts, or carefully measured out ounces, of wine  and then using a breathalyzer to determine our level of intoxication 
  • I see the same experiment run the second time because of an equipment malfunction the first time
  • I see Sarah spending countless hours on the bricks in the hallway
  • I see a huge, real Christmas tree in the downstairs family room that reached up two stories tall
I see many things when I look at that video, and when the house is sold, it seems like another chapter of my life will be coming to a close.

Halifax part 3:  Before we left on Sunday morning, and after we had dropped Ange at church, we spent some time touring the area known in Halifax as the Hydrostone neighbourhood. This area was re-built after the Halifax Explosion. The houses are all in rows with lanes running between the back of each row of houses for parking, garbage collection, etc. In between the rows of houses at the front, on each street is a very wide grassy green space. There are a number of rows of these houses and were made with a special man made material known as hydrostone. Some still remain in their original form but many have since be covered with siding and other materials. Those that have been left and maintained have a real interesting quality to them. At one end of the area, are two rows of building that are shops of all sorts and by the time we left it was filled with people. It was a beautiful sunny Sunday morning and the area was very well utilized by the locals. We went into a little patisserie and had coffee and a pastry then walked through and toured the little shops. What a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment