Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday, February 6th - more weather may be on the way

Winter may have been in bringing us any snow but it seems to be making up for lost time. Monday we received a little less than was predicted but it was around 12 cm - just enough to cause most things to close for the day - except my work, of course. Friend Brenda was ever so glad to have an extra day to get back into things after her trip. The drive in the morning wasn't too - snow covering icy roads, but the drive home was made even more interesting by high winds whipping the freshly fallen snow around. But I've driven in worse so I just took my time and made it home without incident.

Tuesday was an okay day with lots of sunshine although much colder. The next few days could prove interesting if they are anywhere close to their predictions. Tomorrow morning may have a wind chill of -35' so I should be happy with this mornings -18' with no wind.

Friday is calling for a few flurries with a 40% chance of precipitation that may bring 15 to 20 cms of snow (seems like more than a few flurries to me!). Saturday may be a snow day for us as we may see 30 to 40 cms of snow with a 90% chance of precipitation.  That should be fun! But they've been wrong before so we'll just have to see what happens. It is February in Atlantic Canada after all. I was looking at some photos from Wasaga Ontario and they have more than enough snow to cross country ski on, so hopefully we can do that soon as well.

A couple of years ago I purchased a new sewing machine because mine died in the middle of a project and I needed something simple to get it finished. A fancy one wasn't in the budget at the time as it was just before Christmas. The store has a class for new owners to familiarize them with their machines. I've been sewing for a long time but figured it couldn't hurt to take a bit of a refresher. They don't hold the classes very often so I finally got to one last night. It was much better than I had expected. I learned some new things and found our how to use the little gadgets that came with my basic machine. It was a good little incentive to get back to doing some sewing. There we definitely be a spot for my sewing machine and serger in my new craft area when it's finishes.

Speaking of crafts, the lady nearby that I first met who has a loom, emailed me yesterday to advise that the woman who first taught her how to weave is back on the island after living away for a number of years. So Sheila  suggested to me that we can both set up a class with her previous teacher as it's been a while since she's done any weaving. She thought a refresher might be good and she thought of me. I'm every so pleased that she did. I could certainly benefit from some more teaching as I've kind of got the basics but really need to learn so much more.  Things are finally all coming together - now I know how to use the gadgets on my sewing machine and next I'll conquer the loom!

No comments:

Post a Comment