Thursday, July 4, 2013

Jana Margaret Pollard - January 23, 1959 - July 2, 2013

Yesterday I was deeply saddened at the news that my friend Jana had passed away suddenly on Tuesday, July 2nd. In spite of the fact that she was battling Stage 4 lung cancer, it was still a shock. She was diagnosed in the fall of 2011 and fought a very courageous battle.

Everything says this should not have happened to her. She was fit - worked out several times a week with a personal trainer, rowed in the summer with the local rowing club, skied in the winter and generally led an active healthy life. She was always very conscious of what she ate and never smoked a day in her life.  It was such a shock to hear of her diagnosis that day not so long ago.

For over seven years she was my employer, along with her father and brother in the family owned business. I have never before, and never will again, I'm sure, work for such a kind, caring and generous company that was their family firm. My good friend out here on the island, Brenda, just shook her head in disbelief at my decision to leave Jana's employ and move to the island once she'd spent some time with Jana, but that's a whole other story. It was a difficult decision to leave and I still feel ties to the people of that company. But a big part of that was Jana. We shared many experiences as employee and employer over the years. But it was only after I left the company that the dynamics of our relationship changed. Now we were just friends. We didn't spend a lot of time together because of the distance, but we did have some quality moments over the past four years.

Many years ago I introduced her to the music of Jesse Cook. She loved the sounds that came from his guitar and we attended several concerts, though not always together.  He played in Guelph sometimes and we were usually there, either together or separately as schedules permitted. I think for both of us, the most memorable occasion was when we attended a concert here on the island at the Confed Centre. We had front row seats and it was amazing.  After the show we made our way to the back entrance and waited for him to leave. We were not disappointed.

Confed Centre, Charlottetown

He was very gracious, signing autographs and posing for pictures. We had dragged along my friend Brenda who was a newbie. But after a wonderful dinner in town followed by an amazing concert, she was hooked as well. It's been helpful to me to have someone to discuss Jana's situation with, who's actually met her. Brenda was there for me yesterday when I got the news - even though she's on the other side of the country. The irony of that is she had met a woman in BC on Tuesday who knew Jana from the rowing club. It truly is a small world.

I also had the unique pleasure of sharing New York City with Jana and her daughter Kristi in the summer of 2011.  We went to see Paul McCartney at Yankee Stadium and it was the ultimate experience. But besides the concert, we had the benefit of staying with Kristi and experiencing New York with someone who actually lives there. It was a wonderful few days that I will always cherish.

Central Park, New York City

I tried to get to see her, if only for a short time, each time I visited Guelph.  I am so grateful that I had a few moments with her just a few weeks ago. It wasn't meant to happen as we had talked on the phone previously and she was staying at the cottage. But due to a serendipitous set of circumstances, she ended up coming to Guelph for a couple of days just when I was there. My time was limited but we managed to squeeze in a few minutes at the company BBQ. I am so glad that I made that time. I had hoped to be able to go up to see her in September at her cottage for a few days. Brenda had wisely  suggested that I not put off seeing her because you just never know, and it turns out she was right.

I will always remember the special person that she was and am truly blessed to have known her.
My thoughts are now with her husband Scott, daughter Kristi and son Ryan. I feel very sad that she'll not see her children get married or hold a grandchild - things I've been so lucky to do.

The world is a better place because she was in it and I hope I'm a better person for having known her.

Rest in Peace, Jana. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment