Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday, July 15th - another scorcher on the way!

I'm late today ( writing this post at work ), as I drove Lloyd to the airport at 4:45 am then took a nap in my car until time to go to work. It was so hot at our house last night that sleep didn't come easily. Today will be pretty much the same as yesterday. As I write this at 8:00 it is 21' but feels like 27' and later we'll reach 30' that will feel more like 36'.  This is way too hot for this part of the country, but I suppose we should be grateful we aren't having the extreme weather conditions experienced in other parts of the country.  It does make for great beach weather.

It was a fairly busy weekend but relaxing at the same time. Brenda came over on Saturday night for supper and we BBQ'd mini hamburgers and had salads along with it. Some fresh local strawberries and whipped cream made for a tasty dessert.

Sunday morning we were up bright and early to go over to the neighbouring strawberry farm to pick some berries. I had planned to only pick a couple of boxes for dessert but as Lloyd was with me, we ended up picking several more. Tonight I'll be making jam.

His nephews wife was visiting some friends on the island and was coming for supper so my day was filled with cooking and a bit of cleaning. I got most of the cooking stuff done early in the morning so I could clean up my mess. Brenda called to advise that she was going to the beach after church but I had too little time as Sandy was expected around 2:30. So I had to pass on the beach, much to my disappointment. But I got all my jobs done (with some help from Brenda who stopped in for a bit on her way over to Lakeside)  in spite of the extreme heat, although the house really wasn't so bad inside.

Lloyd spent the better part of the day getting the chickens moved outside. He put a structure out there for them with electric fence around it so the critters can't get at them. It was so hot outside and the poor little things were really feeling the heat. They have shelter over them but it was just so warm with no air movement at all. I suspect today will be the same. Once it  cooled down a bit they seemed really happy to be out pecking in the grass.

Due to a slight change in plans, Lloyd arrived with Sandy around 5:00. We had a nice dinner although Lloyd and I piled too much food on the plates so none of us had room for dessert.  I hadn't met Sandy before and she was a lovely person. We really enjoyed her visit and look forward to others in the future.

It was an early evening as we had to get up at 4:00 to get Lloyd to the airport. He's on his way to Toronto from the island, Bernie is on his way from the west and if all goes well, they should meet somewhere in beautiful downtown Sudbury sometime later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment