Friday, April 4, 2014

Friday, April 4th - everyone's glad to see the end of this week!

The weather has finally settled down ever so slightly. It's currently -2 and we should reach +2 later with a bit of sun but maybe a few flurries and/or a bit of rain.

Our road still wasn't plowed on Wednesday morning. I was supposed to pick Brenda up on my way to work and drop her off at her school bus, but we managed to work it out. I walked out to the corner, where some of the drifts were well past my knees, and she picked me up. Fortunately the Van Gaal snowblowing company had just arrived as I was leaving, and after blowing a path down the road, I was easily able to walk through.  The plow did finally come by but it was really only wide enough for one car to go through. Yesterday they brought in one of the big snowblowers to finish the job on the road. I'm guessing it was just too deep in spots and there was no where to push the snow to. But it's all much better now and things are quickly returning to whatever we call normal!

James texted me yesterday that he was at a local high school in Guelph for the day participating in Skills Canada, building a wind turbine as part of the green energy component. I had hoped for a photo at the end of the day but haven't received one as yet. I'm sure it was an interesting experience for him.Perhaps he can build a bigger model to power the chicken house!

I've finalized my plans for my trip to beautiful Victoria (no, not the one here on the island - the one on the island at the other end of the country). I'll be leaving next Thursday, the 10th and returning on Tuesday the 15th - just in time for James' arrival on the 16th. This month is going to go by VERY fast! I'll have a 7 hour wait in Toronto on my way back, so Patti may be able to meet me and we can go for something to eat and kill some time. She might even be able to bring Tristen along with her for a quick visit.

Because Lloyd put in extra hours at work, he had the last two nights off. Wednesday after work I picked up pizza and delivered it to the Van Gaals as I had to return Brenda's car, that I had taken to work. Then last night Lloyd called and suggested he meet me after work so we could go somewhere and get a burger - yes, it's that time again - the annual Burger Love Competition. It gets bigger every year and this year there are 54 restaurants participating. Our choice last night was The Brick House where we enjoyed: 


 


The Bludacris Burger - 6oz Hand-formed Island Beef Patties, Blue Cheese Gouda, Blue Cheese & Maple Aioli, Bacon Jam, Caramelized Onions, and Arugula, on a Homemade Baked Potato Bun containing Potato, Cheddar, Chives & Bacon 

One down, 53 more to go. Guess we know where Lloyd will be eating most of his meals while I'm away. James will arrive just in time to sample a couple while he's here.

 
 Yesterday afternoon was the first of what will be, many remote broadcasts from the local radio station, at work,  as part of our annual spring promotions. I had been speaking with the local DJ on the phone last week, and knew he was coming in. He loves Peanut Butter Balls and I sometimes make some for him (it's a long story that goes back about 4 years). Anyway, he has a daughter who is allergic to peanuts so he's not able to share. I decided to try making them with sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter. They don't taste quite the same but they are still pretty good. And really, if you've never had a real one, you won't know any different!  I told him to try one but didn't say why. He liked it and then I told him to take them home to his daughter. He was thrilled. He's going to let me know how she liked them. I hope they live up to her father's expectations! She's heard him rave about how great they are for years - she might not even like them!

And finally, I was deeply saddened to receive news yesterday morning of the death of a good friends son. Aaron was probably in his mid thirties and just died suddenly at a hockey game where he was one of the linesmen. It's suspected it was a heart attack but I haven't heard definitely as yet. My heart and thoughts go out to the entire family. Such a tragic loss of a fine young man who leaves behind a wife and two small children.

No comments:

Post a Comment