Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday, April 2nd - It's been an insane 36 hours!

The good news is the wind has died down and the temperature is only -2. The bad news is the road is still not plowed from the storm on Monday night. I ventured down the lane at 5:00 this morning and all is like it was last evening. Guess I'm not going anywhere anytime soon this morning.

It started with some freezing rain on Monday as I was coming home from work. The roads were getting quite slick and in fact when I put the brakes on to turn onto my road, I continued sliding up the hill. It was due to change to snow, which it did, before Lloyd left for work on Monday at midnight. He tells me it was the most treacherous drive he's had all winter. By morning it was quite a mess. The strong winds blew the snow around and there seems to be much more snow than we were expecting in our area.

After checking the radio station to find that work was delayed opening until 9:00 I thought I might have a chance of getting to work, even though the radio was strongly advising everyone stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. At about 7:45 a plow came into sight so I thought it might not be so bad once the road was cleared. Not so. He promptly got the plow stuck just at the bottom of our property, just beside the lane. He was there for about 30 minutes when I took a walk down to see just how much snow was there and to take the driver a hot chocolate. We chatted a bit about the quantity of white stuff they were trying to deal with when another plow came into sight down the road. This one was going to pull him out
. The ice under the snow made it impossible to get any traction once you did get a little stuck. So I went back up to the house to watch from the window, out of the fierce winds. The second plow was a large Caterpillar loader and after numerous attempts, had to give up - the truck wasn't budging. I can only assume the first driver left with the second because the truck remained stuck in the middle of the road until 2:00 when a second loader came by, and this time they were successful. Unfortunately that's the last plow we saw. After pulling the truck out, they both left. I can't imagine how tired those guys must be dealing with storm after storm and it just seems there's no let up whatsoever.


Fortunately Lloyd has the job he has, so he has a warm place to stay to wait out the storm. He caught a couple of hours sleep in the morning, then they opened up the shelter for the day, ahead of the usual opening time of  5:00 p.m. There was no way he would have been able to get home last night so he stayed and worked the night shift as well. As of 5:00 this morning he has been there for 29 hours. The up side is he'll have a few extra hours he can take off at a later time.

Not sure what's happening this morning. Just waiting to see if there is school or not as Brenda is driving a bus this morning. If the road is cleared she's offered to drive me to work as my lane won't get cleared till sometime later today. But we'll see. I can only assume that if our road isn't cleared yet, there must be a lot more side roads that are still plugged.

But it's not all bad. I spent a relaxing day yesterday baking a batch of bread, doing some laundry and watching several movies. Kind of like a little mini vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment