Friday, April 10, 2015

Friday, April 10th - just a reminder about how spoiled I really am!

Conditions at 5:30 am: -7' that's feeling a little more like -12
Expected later: a high of 2' but some freezing rain changing to rain later this afternoon - the good news is the drive to work will be just fine

It's mighty quiet out here on the hill, with Lloyd away. When I got home on Wednesday afternoon, it was all too familiar as memories of those three years on my own came flooding back. Firstly, the fire in the wood stove was pretty much gone out. First thing was to empty my ash bucket, so that I could empty out the stove, which was also full of ashes. Once that was done, then it was out to the shed to bring in some wood. Then it was time to cook my supper. I don't usually have to do ANY of those things anymore, so I really have become quite spoiled !  And realistically, who's fault is that?  Not that I'm complaining mind you. But it's good to have these little reality checks from time to time.

We're really enjoying the nice bright sunshine the past couple of days and it's helping slowly melt the snow. There are still massive amounts of it around so slow melting is a good thing. The temperatures have remained cool so that's slowing things down but we should be seeing some milder temperatures next week. During the day, the bottom of our lane is a mass of slush that freezes overnight and becomes an icy mess by morning. The plus side of the overnight cold is that the mud in the centre of the lane is solid when I drive out. It's a bit of a challenge to come in after work. Wednesday evening two fellows came by to confirm data for the voters list. I was surprised to see them and they indicated that the drive up the lane was indeed a bit of a challenge. It does have to get much worse before it gets better but we've become used to that. I suppose the worse it gets, the closer to spring we are, so it's all good...

Brenda stopped over last night to catch up and make sure I was staying out of trouble. She had been out in the woods for a little ski right after work. It seems conditions haven't deteriorated too badly just yet for that, but the rain later today may make a mess of things.  I think I'll spend some time tonight and tomorrow out in the craft room. I have a couple of sewing projects I'd like to undertake before I go away in May. Now seems like a great time to do that.  Then on Sunday I'll go out to Wheatley River to visit Lloyd. He could come here for the day but one of the lambs needs to be fed by hand three times a day so that makes it difficult. So I'll go and see him instead. 

Maybe we can meet in town on Saturday evening and go for a burger somewhere??? There's lots to choose from.





No comments:

Post a Comment