Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Wednesday, April 29th - Dear Mother Nature - please take note of the date!

Conditions at 5:25 am: overcast and -1'
Expected later: 2' with mixed precipitation - wet snow and/or rain

Okay now, seriously?  It started snowing - again - when I was getting ready to leave for work yesterday morning. By 10:00 am there were several cms of new snow on the ground. I was informed by phone that there was much more out our way, than there was in town. I guess the plus side of it is that it's covered all the ugly brown patches of lawn with a nice thick blanket of clean white stuff.  It did turn to rain mid afternoon but there is still lots of new snow on the ground out here.

Not a pretty picture outside my work window

I think this never ending winter is starting to make some folks pretty cranky. Work has been really busy with people getting their summer tires put on but yesterday I'm sure some were questioning that decision. But it can only get better, right?  On the other hand, we are only a few cms away from the most snow ever recorded here on the island, so we may as well strive to break that record - then we can all say to our great grand kids, "you should have seen the winter of '15". We'll really appreciate those beach days this year!

Still a lot of snow to melt away

I did see a sign of spring yesterday that made me smile and believe that once again Spring will grace us with her presence - at some point. A car drove by the dealership on the by-pass yesterday, with a kayak on the roof.  Now if that's not optimism, I don't know what is.

In spite of the fact that lobster season will NOT be opening on Friday as scheduled, and the Ferries will NOT start running on Friday as they are also scheduled to, we know it will get better. In fact if the long range forecast is to be believed, it should be 16' next Tuesday. That is a long way off but we can hope.

Still lots of ice in the Hillsborough River

It's now just 8 short days till I leave on my trip to Cape Cod and Nantucket. I'm really looking forward to it but with all this wintery weather it's hard to think about packing for somewhere that actually has spring happening.  I need to start digging out some different clothes!

It's going to be a busy weekend so I need to get my act together. There's a church pancake breakfast at the Rec Centre on Sunday morning and then a concert at the same hall on Sunday evening. Some prep needs to be done for both occasions but I've always worked best under pressure anyway. But being as it's now Wednesday, I'd better start moving. I'll check with Brenda today and see when she wants to get together to put together our homemade pancake mix. She does the bulk of the work for this event and this year she's taken it a step further and organized everything on a spread sheet - (some folks think she's been hanging around with me too long - but good on her!) This will make things easier next year because each year we both sit there and struggle to remember just what we did the year before, what worked and what didn't.  Gosh, we're getting SO good at this! Well, she is. I really don't have to do much but I guess many hands make light work. I'd better remind Lloyd again that he has to make the baked beans as he always does such a good job on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment