Friday, May 1, 2015

Friday, May 1st - finally looks like some warmer weather may be on its way

Conditions at 5:15 am: overcast and 0'
Expected later: 4' and some sunshine but getting warmer over the weekend and into next week

It's looking like a busy weekend ahead. Last night Brenda and I got together to make the pancake mix. We did tests the first year we did the breakfast between homemade pancakes and store bought pancake mix and decided we liked our better and it was actually less expensive, which we already knew was the case. It's an easy job to measure out the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder, put each batch into a bag and then on the day we just have to add eggs and oil to each batch one at a time as needed. It gets easier each year as we learn more ways to streamline things.

Brenda has a PD day today so when she's done that she's off to do the shopping, then she and I are planning to meet after work. Maybe a bite to eat and a movie. We haven't planned anything specific as yet but we have all day.

I was on my way to work yesterday morning and was following a truck that was loaded down with loose potatoes. I'm assuming they were seed potatoes so someone's optimistic. Speaking of potatoes, we recently acquired a big bag of potatoes from our neighbour.  They're the ones that are too big to use commercially. They have big bumps on them and sometimes are hollow in the centre so they aren't able to be sold. By big, I mean huge!  One potato could feed a family of four, I'm sure.


Yesterday was the  anniversary of our buying our house.  Six years ago we trucked everything we owned to the island and I moved in. In some ways it's hard to believe it's already been that long and in others it feels like we've been here forever. It truly does feel like home to both of us.

So the countdown is on - 5 more work days till I go on my trip. I'm starting to get pretty excited about it. I'm looking forward to spending Mother's Day with Patti and Meg. They're flying into Boston on Friday morning and I'll pick them up on my way through. Then on Tuesday I'm taking the Ferry over to Nantucket. Brenda has a cousin there who has an amazing Inn. She and her husband spend their winters in Florida and will be back on Nantucket the day before I get there. She knows I'm coming and will be stopping by to say hello. Then another friend of ours has a brother who also lives on the island. He's graciously offered to take me on a tour after he's finished work for the day. So now I'll have contacts on the island as well.  Who knew? 

And lastly, this morning when I was checking the weather network to see what the temperature is, there were all kinds of photos people have taken of the spring ice bergs in Newfoundland. I'd love to take the kids there some year to see it for themselves - it truly is an magnificent sight.






No comments:

Post a Comment