Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wednesday, May 5th - it's actually beginning to look and feel like spring

Conditions at 5:15 am: clear skies with a big bright moon and 6'
Expected later: lots of sun and 12'

Not quite as warm as the past couple of days but still rather pleasant. Monday and Tuesday were absolutely beautiful with temperatures in the high teens. Needless to say everyone loved it and it's really taking care of the last of the snow. Of course the tree lines and the bottom of our yard are still covered but I suspect it will all be gone when I get back.

Monday morning was the draw for the $20,000.00 at work. Kirk from the radio station was there to do the honours. I had baked a cake on Sunday and brought it in and set it all up along with some balloons to make it a little more festive.


The lucky winner was announced and it took several tries before she was reached by telephone. Needless to day she was a pretty happy lady when she came in later in the day to pick up her cheque!
 During his normal spiel, Kirk, from the radio station, commented several times on the cake that was on display and how people should  drop by for a piece. So later in the day, when I was on my way home, I stopped in to cast my vote, as it was also election day on the island. As I was standing in line, a voice from somewhere behind me called out "Do you have any of that cake with you,  that was all over the radio this morning??"  Turns out our friends Raymond and Marlene were waiting in the seating area for a spot in line. Thanks a lot Kirk!

Tuesday was just as beautiful weather wise as Monday had been, and I was glad to go outside in the afternoon and enjoy some of it. It's always such a treat the first few days you can just get up from your desk and go outside - no coats, no boots - it's awesome.

Today will be slightly cooler but I don't care - one more sleep and I'm on my way a little further south. My next post will be from Freeport, Maine before I pick up my two favorite girls at the airport in Boston, on our way to Cape Cod.  I'm really looking forward to seeing them. At the same time, James will be heading off on a grand adventure with the Air Cadets. So both groups will be on an American Road Trip at the same time, just not the same places.

I'm mostly packed. I have no idea what the weather will be like so I'm prepared for anything. It's nice going by car because you can take whatever you want with you and not worry about luggage being too heavy. I'm taking my camera bag with my good camera and tri-pod as well as a laptop bag with my computer so I have lots of stuff. I also have a pillow and blanket in case I get sleepy part way through the drive and need a little nap along the way. The last bits of packing won't take long in the morning. A coffee with Lloyd when he gets up and I'll be on my way.

Since I'm so well prepared ( I hope) I can take tonight to go out with Brenda and see a movie. Which means my vacation mode starts at 5:00 this afternoon!

Catch up with you on Friday from Maine!




No comments:

Post a Comment