Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday, May 20th - ever so happy to be back to work - not so much

Today's weather: it's an overcast 9' out here this morning but will warm up to 15' and sun this afternoon
It was lovely yesterday for most of the day, changing to rain just about the time I left for home, but we do need some rain as the fields are quite dry, when you see the tractors working in them. I don't think we got a lot but we may get more before the end of the week

Monday was quite a lovely day and Brenda and I took advantage of a patch of snow for a photo opportunity. Lloyd's only response was "I'm not coming back!". (NOTE: I see it's only 3' in Guelph this morning !)



 Of course, wouldn't you know it, I didn't fall once all winter and this time because I'm in short pants and sleeveless, I fell in the snow!

 Bernie was working the field beside this particular tree line so it made for quite a contrast, but we just couldn't resist the fact that we could actually put on our skis and get this photo on the 24th of May weekend!


Our next best photo opp will surely be the tulips down the road, which should be in bloom within a couple of weeks, and that truly is a sight to see.

Another sure sign of spring is the return of the hummingbirds. Lloyd mentioned that he thought he saw on flit by just before he left, so when I got home I put out the feeder and within an hour they were here. It's such a treat to watch them right in front of the window. They are always a little skittish at the beginning of the season, but after about a week, they come and go and totally ignore us and don't seem to mind that we are there watching.


The other feeder that I put out a few weeks ago, has been upgraded. I picked up a taller stake with two hooks on  it so both feeders are not located a little further from the window and higher up. It was funny to watch on Saturday as various groups of birds battled for positions. I've seen some birds this weekend that I've never seen before. I'll have to investigate what they are.


 I have no idea what kind of bird this is - any suggestions out there?


 Well, I'd better go and get ready for work. The stacks and stacks of work on my desk will still be waiting for me. Oh well, it will keep me busy for the rest of the week, for sure. It was gratifying to have several people say how glad they were to have me back, (apparently the phones were crazy!). But what was even more gratifying was having two outside people comment on how glad they were that I was back - that things just didn't work as well when I was gone.  That's always a nice pat on the back - and we do need that every once in a while! I know the place won't fall apart without me but it's still nice to have been missed and know that your work is somewhat appreciated.







3 comments: