Friday, May 22, 2015

Friday, May 22nd - the last snow should disappear today!

Today's weather: It's currently 8' with a light layer of cloud with sun peeking through here and there. We can expect a cooler high today of only 13' with rain this afternoon and possibly more overnight.

The rain today should take care of the final bits of snow along the tree line - at least at our house. Everywhere else is greening up quite nicely but there's still that little patch along the edge to remind us it's not quite here yet!


It's not quite like years ago when I lived in Timmins, Ont. Often it would get VERY warm in the late spring so it was quite common to see people in shorts and tank tops out on their front lawns, shoveling the last foot or so of snow from the lawn onto the paved streets to facilitate quicker melting. That would have been quite a challenge with this year's snow.

While some parts of the yard still think it's winter. others are looking rather spring like. I took advantage of a couple of sales this week and picked up some chairs for the back patio area. I know Lloyd wants to build some Muskoka chairs from wood, but I really wanted something to sit on this weekend, rather than in three years time! By the time the chairs make it to the top of his to-do list, these ones might well be worn out. So now we have a comfy spot to sit out in the sun, or just to take a rest during outdoor work.






I couldn't resist picking up a few flowers to brighten the corner. Now I just need it to warm up a bit more so we can get out and enjoy it..

Rumour has it Lloyd is going to be VERY busy when he gets back. When he returns on Monday or Tuesday, he has to pick up the baby chicks that he ordered a while ago. Then we got a call last night from some folks who had some piglets for sale. They had advised that they were all spoken for when we called a while ago, but now someone changed their mind, so it looks like we're also getting a baby pig.  I suppose we'll have to come up with an appropriate name - like Pork Chop or Spare Rib!  I'll ask James - I'm sure he'll have an idea. 

The humming birds are getting braver after a week. As I'm sitting here enjoying my morning cappuccino I'm accompanied by Mr. Hummingbird also enjoying his breakfast. Sudden movements will still startle them but by another week or so they won't be bothered by us at all.  



 One last note: because the mornings are getting so nice so early, I've made the decision to post my blog just once a week.Partly because not a lot is going on so most of the time, I haven't really got much to say (yeah, right) and also because I want to start going for a bit of a walk in the morning. I had planned to do it in the evenings but I find most days I've run out of steam by the end of the day. So I'm going to try to get out early in the morning. So look for future posts on Tuesday mornings, when I will catch you up on what happened over the weekend and how the week might be progressing. If anything especially exciting happens, I might do random extra posts. See you next Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment