Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Tuesday, March 29th - Dear Mother Nature - What the heck????

I know the calendar says it's spring but what's with the blizzard???
Patti and Tristen arrived on Monday afternoon, planning a short visit till Thursday. Wednesday morning we wake up to a blizzard warning? The decision was made to try to get them out on Wednesday afternoon or evening. In spite of the bright sun that was streaming through the windows at the airport on Wednesday, we were able to get them to Halifax and then to Toronto before midnight. We've had several false alarms with expected storms that this one was hard to anticipate with the beautiful evening on Wednesday. But this time they were right. I'm so glad our guys got home.They would have had a hard time getting back  in time for the weekend  commitments.
Patti got home in lots of time for Meg's dance competition on Friday and Saturday.  Meanwhile James was at a Field Training exercise with the air cadets. They are indeed a very busy group of people!


On the bus to camp - looks like too much fun!


Tristen fell in love with Barney. But apparently they will come from far and wide to see him. Tristen came all the way from Ontario and a relative of our neighbour's from the Azores couldn't help stopping by to feed him his bottle.  He's doing so well after his very rocky start and everyone who meets him just loves him.  I'm  hoping to find him a really great home. I have a lead to follow up on - more on that later

Tuesday morning we went into town and had a tour of the Culinary Institute. Tristen is toying with the idea of a possible career in the culinary field but it's a long way off. He'll probably change his mind at least a dozen times. But it's never too early to explore your options.



Brenda and Bernie were away for the week so once the family went back home I've had to entertain myself.. Needless to say it was a pretty quiet week. I even brought Celery out to the kitchen to keep me company one morning (there's no wires near the floor in this room). She wasn't so fond of the tile floors but as soon as she stumbled upon Coopers nice soft cushion in front of the wood stove, she made herself at home, much to the disgust of the dog.


Told you it's a zoo around here sometimes!

Lloyd was hoping to move the big giant convection oven in this weekend but the piece of equipment he needed to do the job wasn't available. He may try one day this week.  Once that's in I can get really into cleaning. Not much point in doing a lot out there till EVERYTHING is in place.
I still have a hard time believing this is all happening...


...and speaking of food - last summer when I was in Ontario I visited my friend Helen. We had a lovely lunch at her apartment and shared some nibbles outside on the balcony. One of the things we had was a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie. This was totally new to me so I had to research it when I got home. I found a recipe and some pretty specific instructions on line and set them aside. One day the week before last, I finally got around to giving it a try. Mine didn't come out quite as pretty as the one I had at Helen's but it was mighty tasty. I will definitely be trying this one again.


... and finally, even though it may not LOOK like spring, I happen to know that it is officially here! Yesterday, Lloyd and I were driving into town via the highway and what did we see coming in the opposite direction?  The one true thing that has always says Spring to me - not tulips or daffodils or robins, oh no, not for me - it was a burgundy coloured Miata!!! Spring has truly arrived! Can't wait to get mine out of storage...but I'll have to wait till some of the snow has melted out of the lane and the mud ruts have smoothed out.  But it's coming!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment