Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Tuesday, March 7th - that's farming, or so I'm told!

Well another crazy week in the books. It was really busy on several fronts.

Wednesday I worked at my new job and it went well.  Thursday Lloyd and I attended an Entrepreneur Forum in Georgetown, where we met some interesting people and made some great connections. Then Friday I was off to Island Hill Farm to help prep for their Winterlude event, later that evening. Lloyd was planning to meet me there when it started at 6:00 but it was after 8:00 when he finally got there. Turns out Annie decided to give birth to her babies just as he was doing chores and getting ready to leave.  Of course the best news is we have 2 more little boys. It's a little hard to increase your milking herd with 5 new boys but as a very wise man tells me, "that's farming!"

Friday night's event at Island Hill was a great time in spite of the very cold temperatures (albeit not quite as cold as last year).  I was fortunate to spend the whole time in the house helping in the kitchen. Warm and lots more fun!






By Saturday afternoon we weren't sure that little Barney was going to make it . But after feeding him with a syringe a couple of times, and bringing him into the house where it wasn't quite so cold, he finally got the knack of drinking from the bottle. He spent the night in the dog crate in the living room. (well, most of the night). By the end of the evening he was somewhat stronger and by morning, he was up and walking around and ready to go back to his mom and brother, Byron  (whom I realize I don't have a picture of - he's all white, just like his cousins Billy and Benjamin)








  Our house on a Saturday night - curled up in front of the TV with a baby goat snuggled under a blanket, a cat on my lap and the dog beside me. It's certainly never boring out here on the island.












 Turns out Mom's not feeding him, much like Amelia and Billy the Kid. That explains why he was so terribly weak. So now I've got two little ones to hand feed. But I guess if you have to feed one, it's not that much more to feed two. 







Sunday was again very cold and extremely snowy and windy so the bulk of the day was spent inside. Besides Lloyd had a wicked tooth ache that still continues. He went to the dentist on Monday but after x-rays he was given some antibiotics to get the infection under control. He sees a dental surgeon on Thursday. Hopefully that will take care of the pain he's been in for some time.

Monday I took Barney and Byron into town to get them de-horned. I had a lovely chat with the Vet there, who's done all the work on all our goats so far. Really nice fellow and a pleasure to talk to.
When we got home I brought Barney inside for a minute while I got his bottle ready before heading back out to the  barn. He found the tile floors very slippery and was pretty comical to watch trying to stand up.




We're expecting some more milder weather later in the week but hopefully we won't have the flooding we've had over the last couple of weeks. Freezing temperatures at night may be a big help.



No comments:

Post a Comment