Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Monday!

What a treat for me to open up my site this morning and find a comment from Meghan Van Gaal. When I first started this, my intention was simply a means of passing on day to day information to my husband and my daughter and her family in Ontario. I never thought anyone else would be even remotely interested in reading about my usually pretty ordinary life. But now I've learned that a few people are reading it and some of them I DON'T EVEN KNOW as they are friends of friends! How exciting is that?
Yet another wonderful weekend here on the island.
Friday night we missed Friday Feast as I was invited to attend the 50th birthday of one of my co-workers at the university. There was a great turn out and I spent a lot of time chatting with one of the Deans at the University. Turns out he spent some time many years ago working at a remand centre in San Dieg0. Needless to say, we have things we can share that no one else at the office could even begin to comprehend. It's always fun to socialize with colleagues, as you find out things that would never come up in the every day routine of the office.
Saturday morning was my third quilting class. This was meant to be our last one for this project be we are only halfway through constructing our blocks, so she has added another class. She also brought in a sample of another technique that she will be teaching. It was beautiful so needless to say, we all signed up for the next one. Shrewd business woman, that Janice.
After roaming around town for a while and doing some errands, I went home in time to get ready to go out. I was very pleased to have been invited out for supper by Brenda and Bernie. Richard had told them about a restaurant in town they had tried called Chocolate Elements. So Brenda and Bernie picked me up and away we went. Our reservation was for 7:00 and we arrived right on time. A small group of people were just leaving as we arrived and we were the only ones there for the remainder of the evening. It's a very cute little place, that actually only seats 16 people! I can't imagine how they can afford to stay open this time of year.
We were met at the door by our server, who promptly told us what the specials were, before we even got our coats off or sat down, but perhaps he's new to this waiter thing.
Once we sorted out where we were going to sit, we reviewed the menu. The food is a bit of a mix of various items and I ordered the stuffed breast of chicken, Brenda ordered the pork tenderloin and Bernie had the Cocoa Crusted Sea Scallops with Risotto (it is 'chocolate elements' after all).
I like dining with Brenda and Bernie because they are adventurous and not afraid to share. I know some people are just not comfortable tasting other peoples food from their plates, or letting other people take food from theirs. But the three of us had no problem trying everything. There was nothing that we didn't like. Bernie was pleased to have someone tell him exactly what he was eating. A couple of items on his plate were new for him but he cleaned up the whole thing. Lloyd, you will be pleased to learn that Brenda shares your opinion of zucchinni. After dinner we had dessert and tea. The desserts were also very good. The only down side was that they don't have their liquor license yet, so water had to suffice as a beverage with our meal. A lovely glass of wine would have set things off quite nicely. But apparently it is in the works so should be in place by the time we come back again. We will certainly have to make the trip the next time Lloyd is in town. Richard and Daralen said they enjoyed it more than Lot 30. I think I still like Lot 30 better but it's a different kind of menu. And I haven't eaten there for a couple of years so I may need to do that again to properly compare.
Sunday morning was flurries, flurries, flurries! By the time Brenda called me mid morning, everything was covered in a blanket of new fluffy white snow. It truly was a pretty day. I have to thank Brenda (yet again!) for giving me a new appreciation for the outdoors in winter. I've never been a big fan of winter and certainly not of winter sports. Left to my own devices, I would probably not set foot outside all weekend. But thanks to her, I am getting out and really enjoying the season. We went over to Dalvay and skiied. There was a community event going on at the park so the little building that usually just houses us, was full of people out for the day .
Once we got into the bush on the trails, it was absolutely beautiful. The trees were completely covered in fresh snow and it was absolutely silent - just an amazing place to spend a Sunday afternoon. So thank you once again Brenda. I would not have even known what I was missing were it not for you initially dragging me out.
When we got back, we headed into town where Brenda had to drop off some paperwork to someone, then over to Timothy's for hot chocolate. I spend my mornings at Timothy's and really enjoy the atmosphere and it was quite different on a Sunday afternoon. It was quite busy with a very eclectic group of people, and we were barely able to find a free table.
After soaking up some of the atmosphere we headed out to pick up some take-out Thai food for Brenda to take home. I was invited to join them but I declined this time (see Bernie, I CAN say no, sometimes) and instead opted to go home and bring in fire wood while it was still day light. I tried to blow the snow around the house, but it was very heavy, wet, sticky snow and just clogged up the chute, so I put it away and called it a day. It may be easier if it freezes more later in the week although that doesn't look likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment