Monday, February 8, 2010

Only three more sleeps...

...till Lloyd gets here. It's Monday again, and it was a very busy weekend. We had a bit of snow overnight and a tiny bit of freezing rain, unfortunately not enough for a snow day. One of those would have been really handy today. Saturday was busy with my quilting class, picking out wallpaper at Colour you world, then groceries. The day did get off to a great start as I was at Brenda's at 7:00 to watch her make bread. She makes about 13 loaves at one time, and boy is that a BIG ball of dough to knead. She must have very strong arms! I learned some of the little secrets that make her bread so tasty. Once it was mixed I left to go to town. I got back around 1:30, just in time to have a roll, warm from the oven. Then when I was leaving she gave me a loaf and some rolls. I'm looking forward to trying her recipe. She freezes all of her bread and it comes out great, but you do have to use it quickly as there are no preservatives so it doesn't keep. But boy is it good.

We had a really nice time on Friday night at Helena and Jackies. I almost got stuck in their driveway as it hadn't been blown out yet, so Bernie and Jackie had to give me a little push. They have a beautiful house that he built. Everyone seemed to like the Paella, but I had never done it in advance before. I found the mussels a little overcooked. But flavour wise it was good.

I got up early on Sunday, and started a little of the papering in the bedroom and then Brenda came over around 11:00 to help. She is amazing. I really had no idea how to properly wallpaper and Brenda has done it many times. She is a pro! I learned so much from her and it looks great. I need to buy one more roll of paper, for one strip of paper, but then I will have extra for when the window gets replaced. I'll finish that up tonight. Then I can spend Wednesday night cleaning the house - or at least making it a little more presentable for when Lloyd gets here on Thursday. I have an IAAP meeting on Tuesday so that night is pretty much gone. But it will get done, it usually does. My work load did get considerably lighter yesterday when Brenda helped me bring all the garbage downstairs and load it into the truck. After we were finished I realized that Brenda has a problem with her shoulder and I had forgotten about it. I felt SO bad for not remembering, as I wouldn't have let her do all that carrying of heavy stuff. I really owe her large for this one.

When I was taking up the carpet in the bedroom and the hall, there was a message written on the underside. It must have been written by the store that delivered the carpet - it said "Walsh - deliver Monday". So now I know that the carpet went in when Edwin Walsh lived there. I'll have to check with Bernice exactly when he lived there. Brenda told me the thing to do with these old houses, is to cut a small piece of the old carpet and just put it somewhere in the house,to preserve that history. I loved that idea so I cut out a small piece of the bedroom and hall carpet and a small piece of the bedroom paper. I'm going to take it a step further. I'm going to write down a little bit of information - who we are, where and when we came here, and the date that I pulled up the carpet and leave it with the samples. I think I'll just put it all into a zip lock back and tack it inside one of the bedroom storage cupboards so the next person can find it. Then as I update things, I'll add them to the bag. I may take it even a step further and add photos of each room as they were at the time we bought the house. Maybe it will inspire others to keep a history going. I love the fact that 50 years from now someone will have a brief history of the house. I will see what information I can get from Bernice and write it down and include that as well.

In the afternoon, when we were all done papering, I made us a pizza for lunch and we sat down to watch curling on TV. It was very exciting as Team PEI was in the final round against Team Canada. They came so close it winning. We watched the whole thing until almost 7:00. They just did such an amazing job. Team Canada may have won, but not without a good fight. I called Fran during the match and she was surprised that I was watching curling. She said "I guess you just needed a country to cheer for". I guess she's right. I mentioned to her that the Scotties Tournament of Hearts is being played in Charlottetown next year and she and Pat are already considering it. That would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment