Friday, February 5, 2010

Let the renovations begin!



Okay, this weekend is going to be all about fixing the upstairs (or at least the start of it)
If the weather remains like this morning it will be good to stay inside anyway. It's minus 15 this morning but the wind chill makes it minus 29. And it feels like it! Out our way it is blowing snow and I was the first one out our road this morning. The radio did say that there where white out conditions on Highway 2 especially out towards Morrell, but also on the way to Charlottetown. That's why I take Fort Augustus Road. It's slower and has a lot more twists and turns but there is very little traffic on it in the morning so I can just take my time. Once I got closer to town it was better. As I was driving in this morning, in the cold and blowing snow, I thought about the people I worked with in the summer who are all sitting (no, probably still sleeping) in their nice toasty houses and collecting their unemployment cheques. I'm sure they would be laughing at me this morning and for a brief moment I asked myself "What was I thinking?" But now that I'm sitting in my favorite little coffee place, drinking my Irish Cream coffee, all is well with the world.
Tonight I am bringing Paella to Brenda's friends, Helena and Jackie, so the five of us can have supper. Brenda is making biscuits and Helena is making dessert. I hope they like the Paella. I did the most of it last night and just have to finish it off when I get to their house. So because I was doing that last night, I didn't get any painting done and tonight will be a write off as well. I'll get up early in the morning and put the next coat on the green trim (that is now white), before I head to town to my quilting class. Then I will pick up the wallpaper and I should be ready to put that up on Sunday. I regret that I may have to pass on skiing on Sunday, but I'm getting pressed for time. I have an IAAP meeting on Tuesday night and Lloyd is arriving on Thursday afternoon. I need to have it all ready to go when he gets here. I have no idea how long it takes to put down flooring but it's good that he's done it before in the bunky. It's going to make such a difference to have that carpet gone. Now there is none in the house except for a couple of small area rugs in the living room. It's also going to be nice to have it done before Patti and the kids come in March, and then Jana should be here in April.

Like most old houses I've lived in during my lifetime, this one also didn't have closets. Someone has built one in the bedroom (a teeny, tiny closet in a teeny tiny bedroom) made from plywood. It serves it's purpose but looks a little unsightly. I'm also not sure why they chose to paint the little door to the storage area under the eaves dark green, to accent it. Makes no sense to me. So I'm hoping that by painting everything white and then putting in paper with a white background and something pastel, it will look better. It will certainly be an improvement.
I've been out to look at flooring but I'd like to have Lloyd there when we choose. I have an idea what I want for the hallway, but not so sure for the bedroom. It will be nice to get his input.

No comments:

Post a Comment