Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday, January 16th - back to winter

This morning it's a more seasonable -8' and we'll get up to -4 later on. We've enjoyed the past few mild and sunny days but it's really not right. We should get a bit of snow as well over the next few days. 

Now that the holidays are over, things have settled back to normal - whatever that may be. Work is busy but not the crazy busy it's been the past few weeks. By now, most people have  their snow tires on so it's not the mad panic it was before Christmas. 

Last night Brenda came over and we started back into our scrapbooking. We did one night a week last winter and we accomplished some,  and it was all still where we left off.  No magic fairies came in and finished our books for us over the summer, so we will have to get down to work.  It takes a while to get your mind back into the groove and thinking about ideas for pages but we'll get there.  When we were done for the evening, Lloyd made tea and put out a plate of sweets for us, while we both sat at the island and watched. We're both loving being spoiled like that!

Lloyd and I are both looking forward to our little getaway in February. The weekend we arrive, there's a fundraiser for the Liverpool Fire Department that's being held at the resort. It's called "On the Rocks" and it features 75 purveyors of beer, wines and spirits for sampling along with appetizers. Sound like our kind of evening.  I called the Lodge yesterday and reserved two tickets as they expect to sell out fast. Should be a fun time. Last night Brenda advised that there's a winter lobster season in Nova Scotia so fresh lobster might just be in our dinner plans one night as well. It's a tough life but someone has to do it.

Last summer Patti's friend Katie and her family stayed here for a few days as they were traveling throughout the Maritimes. She brought me a beautiful orchid. I've never had one of those before and anyone who knows me well, knows that I do not have a green thumb and I'm really not good with plants. I do have to admit though, that I have a few that I've managed to keep alive now for quite some time.  The orchid, which was given to me in early July was loaded with blooms. I didn't realize how long they last. The last flower fell off in early October.  So I just kept watering it as directed - 1/4 cup of water once a week. Well wasn't I surprised on Sunday to realize that there was a new shoot with buds on it under one of the leaves. I pinned it to the sticks that the previous ones were on and I'm ever so hopeful that it's going to bloom once again.  If it does, it will be some kind of miracle!

One last thing - I realized I missed wishing Caitlin Van Gaal  a happy birthday on January 4th. I was off sick then and not at my best and never even gave it a thought. So a very happy belated birthday to you Caitlin. Hope you had a great time out there in Edmonton.

No comments:

Post a Comment