Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday, January 23rd - the deep freeze continues

It's a really cold 19' this morning with a wind chill of -26'. Later this afternoon the temperature will move up to -18' but the wind chill will become -30'.  BRRRRRRRRRR!

It's very cold but with it staying that way it's easier to get used to, than the extreme up and down temperatures we've been having the past few weeks. We usually have about a week of this really cold weather and then we're done for the season. Hopefully that's the case again this year and we'll soon be over it.

Monday evening Brenda and I went our for supper and then to a lecture at historic Beaconsfield House in town. It was about Dalvay by the Sea and it was really interesting. We've gotten quite the bit of culture in the past week - first the organ recital on Friday and then this.  There is never a shortage of things to do here if you're willing to expand your horizons a little. Meghan (2) has seen all the Anne of Green Gables movies so I know she'll recognize Dalvay as having played the part of the White Sands Hotel in the movies. I'm going to have to take her there the next time she comes down here and we'll have afternoon tea. I know she would love that. I think James would also enjoy it if he knew a little of the history of the place and the family that built it.  But I think I'd take them individually because they would be two very different experiences.

His Chocolate Orange Birthday Cake
Yesterday was Lloyd's birthday so Happy Birthday Lloyd. It was a pretty uneventful day for him as I was late getting home from work. I stopped in at the clinic as I'm still dealing with a sore throat and cough. I was given an inhaler to use for the next two weeks that is supposed to clear things up once and for all. Let's hope so. Enough already! He could have had a left over piece of his birthday cake on the actual but he ate the rest on Monday. I saw it on the counter Monday morning and I almost said to him "save me a tiny piece of cake' but I thought, there's quite a sizable piece left so it shouldn't be a problem - wrong. When I got home he confessed that it was all gone. Apparently every time he walked past the counter, the cake would call out his name. Just as well, I really didn't need it anyway.




He does love his food but sometimes that backfires on him. One day a week or so ago, he came upon a small packet of what appeared to be healthy snacks - some sort of pumpkin and cranberry treats. He thought he would give them a try as the packet looked every so appetizing. He tried them and thought, these must be really healthy because they really don't have much taste. In fact they were rather bland. It was only then that a closer inspection of the package revealed that they were dog treats! Patti had brought a bunch of gourmet dog treats down with her at Christmas. Just goes to show how important it is to read the labels on our food!!!










And finally, on the weekend when we were cleaning up for company, I finally hung up the  clock that Meg made for me for Christmas. Right now it's hanging in the kitchen but eventually it will proudly hand in my craft studio when it's finished.





1 comment:

  1. I made a chocolate orange cake yesterday. It tasted great, but wasn't nearly as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete