Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday, March 10th - you have GOT to be kidding me!

It was a pretty good weekend with much milder temperatures than we've been getting lately. It's cool this morning when I checked the weather network at -11 with a wind chill of -17. It should warm up to -5 later. That I can live with. What is most disturbing is the forecast for Wednesday. Are they seriously telling us we could receive 15 to 20 cms of snow??? That's a pretty cruel joke to play on us just 11 days away from the first day of spring!  I guess we just have to look at the bright side - it will extend the ski season.

It was a busy weekend, or at least Saturday was. I worked only two hours in the morning, leaving at 11:00.  I had tickets to the Women's Expo at Red Shores, that I had won on the radio (that was the only way you could get in). I arrived in time to have lunch, visit the exhibitors booths and also for the fashion show. It was a lovely morning out.  Kerry Wynne from the radio station was the hostess and did a marvelous job, considering she had been out sick the entire previous week with a severe allergic reaction to we still don't know what.  So job well done.  The fashion show was quite good. although Kirk, the other morning host wasn't able to make it to help model the men's apparel.  He is usually a staple at this event but was off island for a hockey tournament. It became necessary to find someone else. Fortunately KW was able to find someone - a fellow that she's known for a very long time - she mentioned he used to follow her around on the golf course as a caddy at the age of 11 so they go back a long way. Seems he's gone on to become fairly successful. Now he works downtown - Premiere Robert Ghiz.  Guess if that premiere things doesn't work out, he can always get a job in the fashion industry! Only on PEI!!

When the expo was over, Lloyd met me at the East Link Centre,  which happens to be conveniently attached to Red Shores.  The Home Show was taking place so we had planned to check it out.  It took a few minutes to connect with Lloyd as we came in different entrances. While I was wandering around looking for him, I ran into a couple of familiar faces - Bruce and Boomer. I just had to request a photo as proof I was at the home show.  I finally met up with Lloyd and we spent the rest of the afternoon checking out the exhibits. We were looking for some specific information on wood burning furnaces and finally found it at the last booth we visited. But once again, at least for me, the highlight was the cheese tasting area. That's where you will usually find Brenda and I when we go there. When the show  ended, we headed over to Hunter's Ale House for something to eat. I had told Lloyd about the nachos Brenda and I had a couple of weeks ago and he was keen to try them out. They aren't kidding in their ad when they say 'Great food, great rock, lots of it!'  The portions are huge! We had the same nachos and we could barely finish one order between us. It was really busy so we had about a 45 minute wait for our food but it was nice to be out together for a meal - something we don't get to do so often anymore with our differing work schedules, so it was a  nice treat.

Sunday morning dawned bright and sunny and beautiful. I just knew that Brenda would be calling to go skiing. Unfortunately because of a couple of cracked ribs, I have been strongly advised not to do that (they may have seen just how ungraceful I can be on the ski trail at times). Good thing Brenda's cousin and her husband were also planning to go so she had company. She called later to suggest that she pick up pizza on her way home and we could join them.  I worked out in the craft room for the afternoon and then came inside to make some quick little blueberry tarts to take over for dessert. It turned out to be a really great evening, and good chance to catch up with each other. She's had a very busy week and welcomed the opportunity to relax over a beer and some pizza. So thanks to the Van Gaals for yet again, a great time.



When I got home I checked my email and had a message from Patti. She's never really been to Victoria before and wonders why no one ever told her how beautiful it is there.  After the cold and snowy winter they've been having I think it was a very welcome change for her. I wouldn't be surprised to see her book more layovers in Victoria, for a little touch of spring just a bit early.I can't imagine how nice it will be when I visit in April!


No comments:

Post a Comment