Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday, March 17th - Happy St. Patrick's Day to all our Irish friends!

It's a chilly morning - might make you turn blue rather than green. It's currently -14 with  a wind chill of -24. It will warm up to -8 later but will still feel like -16. Winter isn't finished with us yet.

Well, it was a socializing kind of weekend. Saturday evening our friends Donna and Roy came over for BBQ burgers. Unfortunately our master BBQer has one hand out of commission so we opted instead to cook the burgers indoors on the grill. No worries - they came out fine. We hadn't seen them for quite a while so it was nice to catch up. Donna's pretty excited as she's heading out west the end of the month to visit her son and his family. They have twins who are 4 1/2 years old so she's really looking forward to seeing them.

Sunday was a pretty quiet day. We went over to our friends Richard and Daralen to pick up some fire wood and stayed for tea. Another couple I haven't spent time with in quite a while so it was also a nice afternoon. On the way home we stopped in the Van Gaals to see what was going on and after some wine and cheese and crackers, and a chance to catch up, we finally headed home. Another lovely visit.

Unfortunately I had put a piece of pork in the oven to slowly simmer before I left. I really should have put the heat down lower than the recipe called for, but I didn't plan to be away so long. Needless to say when I got home it was completely dried out - not a spec of the liquid I had put in when it went into the oven. Just a charred black piece of something that a few hours before was actually a piece of meat, and the entire inside of the pot blackened. Not a pretty sight. Oh well, all meals can't be winners! Good thing there were a couple of burgers left over from Saturday night!  It was all good.

On Friday afternoon, we had a lovely mild day and the water outside on the parking lot at work tends to collect in one spot. There is a storm drain in the middle of the lot but it doesn't drain properly and the guys have to go out with giant squeegees and push it in that direction. I was looking at it and mentioned that it looked somewhat like a lake and that we should give it a name. One of the salesmen was at my desk and suggested we could call it .......Lake Superior - being as we ARE on Superior Crescent. Brilliant, but I think that names already been taken. Still there is a tall orange marker over the hole where the drain is, that's just begging for someone to put a sign in there. I'm sure we can make this happen! 




I have to say I'm enjoying my new Ipad mini. I finally got the case for it that I ordered online and I'm ever so pleased with it. So a big thanks to Patti for suggesting that such a thing was available. I had looked at Staples and they didn't have any with the keyboards. This one has a blue tooth keyboard so there's no wires connecting the two. The keyboard is also easily removable if you just want to take just the case and Ipad.  Now it's ever so functional! Just like a tiny little laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment