Friday, June 20, 2014

Friday, June 20th - it can't be almost summer, we haven't had spring yet!

Temperature at 5:30 am: 10' amd
Expected later: 14' and more rain

We did manage to have one nice warm day this week but for the most part, it was cool and/or wet. Granted, I know the farmers crops need the rain, as does our garden but really, we would like a little bit of nice weather. It warmed up enough to allow me to cut the grass one evening and that's about it.

Brenda, Maureen and I braved the downpour on Wednesday evening and attended the Festival of Small Halls in Milton and it was worth the effort. It was a really great night. I made it home just as Lloyd was finishing his coffee and heading  off to work. Needless to day, it had been a long day. I'm not used to staying up that late, especially on a week night.

Not a lot else is going on. Lloyd is slowly working on the garage during the day getting it ready to paint. He hopes to be ready to do that this weekend. I am hoping to perhaps get some weeding done in the flower beds, which haven't yet been touched this year. The bed at the front is filling in quite nicely and is starting to look great.



Remember a few months ago, when I mentioned that my orchid was blooming and how thrilled I was? Well, I happened to look at it a little more closely the other day only to realize that the blooms had finally all fallen off but that there was a brand new stem with buds just ready to burst open. So I'm pretty thrilled about that. I haven't had them bloom staggered like that before.
 



Like I said, it doesn't take much to keep us amused out here! We're also really enjoying the antics of the new crop of hummingbirds. Although, I suspect at least one of them was here last year. It flew right up to the kitchen window where the feeder usually sat and was looking for food. There was nothing there to indicate that there would be food, it just seemed to know where to look. So since then we've sat at the table watching them establish their pecking order and determine just who exactly gets to eat and when. There's something very  relaxing in sitting and watching nature so up close and personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment